You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Macro I created keeps crashing Affinity Photo 1.71 / MacOS 10.14.5

I'm trying to create a macro to remove the white background from product images (shirts)..

when i create the macro, it works 1 time, then crashes AP every time after that.

i'll attach the macro here.. but here are the steps

start recording

select magic wand tool, click on white background to make selection

select > invert selection

select > grow/shirk, type in -1, hit apply

select > refine edges (make no changes), hit apply

click on the Mask button on the layers palette

stop recording..

I know you can select Output > Mask from inside the refine edges window, but that makes it crash too..

also included an image of one of the shirts

RemoveWhiteBackground.afmacros

Bella_+_Canvas_3413Y_Charcoal-Black_Triblend_Front_High.jpg

FWIW, I created the macro following your steps just to eliminate the possibility of a damaged or corrupted macro file. For me, it does in fact immediately crash Affinity Photo if I apply it to any file I tried it with.

From what I can tell, it is the Selection Refinement step that causes the crash -- uncheck that step & the macro runs OK.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Hi rhinoxnation :)

This is a known bug with selection refinement in a macro, it's with our development team to be repaired so I'll bump the thread with your report now. In the meantime, as R C-R has mentioned, unticking the refine option in the macro will stop the crashing- many thanks!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 4 years later...
  • Staff

The issue "Refine selection in macro crashes app" (REF: AFP-1576) has been fixed by the developers in build "2.2.0 Release".
This fix should be checkable in the current customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.

@Serif Info Bot, unsure what is meant by  "2.2.0 Release." AFAIK, 2.2.0 is the current customer release version. This bug is still present in the customer release version 2.2.0 on my Mac.

Tested with the RemoveWhiteBackground.afmacros file from the first post ... which strangely has a 'link' icon implying it is linked with all the other installed Affinity apps & even asks if I want to delete it from all or just AP if I choose to delete it.

So I guess a secondary question I have is how macros can be linked to the others or if this is even supposed to be possible.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7