You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Slow down on large document (1.7.2.146)

I have used this beta fairly extensively, and there have been lots of improvements.  However I am still finding fairly significant slow down on larger documents (I'm using 16000 x 8000 pixels) once we enter into a few layers of use (around 15 to 20).  There tend to be significant slowdowns when trying to move or resize the layers (or groups of layers).

I find that sometimes saving the document and then trying again to move the layers can improve performance.  However this can lead to other issues such as significant delays in saving the files  and sometimes not even being able to get back to the main menu.

I am having to reduce the number of layers I work on to get work done unfortunately. 

I am also finding that occasionally I am unable to choose  a new tool, the UI seems to acknowledge my presses but does not respond until I reset Photo.

I was not facing these issues on 1.6.

I am using an iPad Pro 12.9 with 1TB HD space

• 3 weeks later...

Ive decided to record a video of the issues, please note I've done it this way as its always reproducible.  However I find the with any large documents with just a few layers, the app slowly grinds to a halt and then needs to be forcibly quit.  This will happen for any work I do over a short period of time, with enough complexity.

iPad Pro 12 1TB HD iOs 12.4

The end of the video is where the app has hung, occasionally it manages to eventually fix itself, but mostly I have to forcibly quit the app and lose all my progress.

hi frank!

that sounds similar to my problem since I updated my iPad Pro to iOS 12.4. as soon as I have some layers all actions got slowed down and waiting that the picture become ready in overview seems to take forever. only way is quitting the app and restarting. 

The latest beta (1.7.2.149 RC1) stills shows the problem.

What I haven't demonstrated is that once this slowdown has started, the app can stay very unresponsive, even if one waits long enough for the app to have finished calculating what it needs to.

As soon as the slowdown occurs, it becomes necessary to quit the app, and hope it is able to save your document, else one faces lost work.

Also worth noting that it is not just resizing/moving/rotating the groups of layers, this is just the most easily demonstrable.  I find it occurs with almost any task when dealing with groups of layers.  It is such a problem that I have to either dramatically reduce the amount of layers of work with, or (and this only occasionally works) hide the layers I am not working on. 

I can also demonstrate this happens with smaller documents (in this case 5000 x 5000 pixels).

At the end of this video I was trying to choose a colour but the app was unresponsive.

Please note, I am manipulating a group of layers

Beta 1.7.2.149. While not following any realistic workflow I am able to produce a total slowdown of paint tool without any ability to select or deselect layers, yet while able to access menus.

Process. Created new 5000x5000 px’s canvas. Draw a line on a pixel layer. Repeat 8 times on new layers. Duplicate all layers. Selelect all layers and spin/rotate haphazardly, resize using handles haphazardly. You may notice occasional stutter but generally very quick response to rotations. Repeat a few times and then select brush to paint a new line. Nothing happens. Deselect layers. Nothing happens. Then the paint line starts to draw by itself. Menus are accessible but layers can’t be changed.

Is it a realistic test. Probably not as I've not had issues with my normal workflow. But, something is not quite right as Frank and Peter have found. Maybe it’s just worse effect on newer iPads with iOS 12.4.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• 8 months later...
  • Staff

Sorry.

Thank you for reporting a problem using the pre 1.8.0 beta builds. It appears that a member of the Affinity QA team didn't get round to fully investigating this specific report posted in the bugs forums. We are very sorry for this oversight. Yours is one of a number of reports that I am posting this apology to, using an automated script. 

Now we have released 1.8.3 on all platforms containing many hundreds of bug fixes, and we hope your problem has already been fully addressed. If you still have this problem in the 1.8.3 release build, then the QA team would really appreciate you reporting again it in the relevant Bugs forum.

Each of those links above contains instructions how best to report a bug to us. If that is what you already did in this thread just copy paste your original report into a new thread. We appreciate all the information that you have including sample files and screen shots to help us replicate your problem.

This thread has now been locked as the QA team are not following the threads to which this automatic reply is made, which is why we would appreciate a new bug report if you are still have this problem in the release build.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon