You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Reapplying Master to pages

Hello,

Could you please explain the following behavior:

Create a master, place a Frame text and a Picture Frame. Go to a page based on that master. Add text to Frame texte, add picture inside Picture Frame.

Right-click on page thumbnail, Apply Master... Reapply master (the same one) without Replace Existing.

After applying, the text in the Frame text and the picture in the Picture Frame are no longer accessible. 

It appears like a new Frame text and Picture Frame have been placed but the content of the old one was not reinstalled in the new one, and was left over in an unaccessible frame.

Bug or misunderstanding of Apply frame...

Thank you.

Publisher 1.7.1, Macos 14.5.

Great software, inexpensive, does a great job. Thank you.

I have the very same question. I tried to reapply a master page because I applied a new text style to an existing text frame at the master page. But it didn't apply the changes of the master page to the document page. But after reapplying it overwrotethe text frames  on the document page. 

Edited by Mr. Dyck

• Staff

If you don't apply replace existing when applying the master you will get a copy of the objects placed exactly over the over ones (or new objects added). You can best see this in the layers tab where the contents from the initial master page are now detached from the master.

Thank you for your reply.

If I check "Replace Existing", it adds the master's placeholder frames and remove existing ones from the previous master. So I loose the content placed in previous master frames.

If you do not check "Replace Existing", like you say, new empty frames are placed in addition to existing frames. In this case I have to manually transfer the content of previous frames to the new ones, and delete previous frames.

Is this correct?

Thank you for your explanation.

Best regards.

Pierre

15 minutes ago, Pauls said:

Why are you replacing the frames like that in the first place ?

Perhaps because some changes to the text frames do not carry over to the pages, thus the attempt to fix it with replacing/reapplying the master page. The best example to demonstrate this is with the text frame's baseline. Make a change to that, go from 12pt to 14pt, and see if it is applied to the text in the document. The original post mentions the use of a picture frame, I have no problem (yet) with that but I do have a problem with the leading.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Yes, you're right. I did some changes to the master text frame and they were not carried over to pages. Changes were styles and centering if I remember.

Thanks to both of you.

I now understand how it works. Wasn't intuitive!

Pierre