Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Exporting in TIFFF gave me a bigger file than the original .photo one, see attached screenshot.

Exporting in PSD is at times impossible and AP crashes.

 

Screen Shot 2019-07-10 at 6.43.09 PM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, srg said:

sorry double post

tip.gif Use the ‘Options’ link below your posted message to access the ‘Hide’ option which hides the post from everyone except the moderators.


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What were your export settings for that TIFF file, including those on the More... page, @srg?


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.145), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.2.424 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.2.424 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.2.422 Beta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

What were your export settings for that TIFF file, including those on the More... page, @srg?

they are the default setting of AP. did not touch them. Plus exporting in PSD is in certain files impossible, AP simply cannot do it, after ten min it saves a corrupted file without the thumbnail. Just upsetting.

 

Not understand the More thing, sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, srg said:

Not understand the More thing, sorry.

On the Export dialog, there is a 'More' button that shows the additional settings. Walt is asking if you've changed any of the settings in there but it might be worth attaching another screenshot so we can match it and attempt to repo the issue. 

I seem to have no issues exporting a large PSD—it can just take a minute or two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

3 hours ago, Chris B said:

On the Export dialog, there is a 'More' button that shows the additional settings. Walt is asking if you've changed any of the settings in there but it might be worth attaching another screenshot so we can match it and attempt to repo the issue. 

I seem to have no issues exporting a large PSD—it can just take a minute or two.

here are the screen shots of the settings I use for PSD and TIFF

Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 8.32.11 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 8.32.35 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 8.33.03 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 8.33.26 AM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks srg,

Those look like the default settings. I've tried this with a file at 200mb, 400mb and 700mb and they all finished within 20 seconds of me asking to export to PSD. I'm saving locally and to Dropbox though. Where are you saving the files to?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chris B said:

Those look like the default settings.

The original complaint was about the size of the TIFF export, I believe. "Save Affinity Layers" is certainly not a default Export setting for TIFF files :)

That will result in much more data being saved in the TIFF file than if that option were not chosen, including (in addition to the layer info) things like any Snapshots that exist.

For one quick test, I had an RGB-16 .afphoto file that I exported as a normal TIFF, and as a TIFF with Affinity Layers saved:

  • .afphoto: 159,975 KB
  • .tiff:          35,242 KB
  • .tiff with layers: 232,860 KB

The actual values will differ depending on the number of layers, snapshots, etc. but a TIFF file saved with the Affinity Layers will be much bigger than a standard TIFF file.


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.145), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.2.424 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.2.424 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.2.422 Beta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Chris B said:

Thanks srg,

Those look like the default settings. I've tried this with a file at 200mb, 400mb and 700mb and they all finished within 20 seconds of me asking to export to PSD. I'm saving locally and to Dropbox though. Where are you saving the files to?

A) a little recapitulations: I have removed the 'save the file option' and what I obtained, as shown  in the attachment is a bigger size in the same range as the one with the attachments.

B) PSD: a night mare; the same file, about 400MB was exported in .PDS in 4min 55 sec. chronometer at hand ais an image with a black  thumbnail. Furthermore, as I posted recently, photos saved in .PSD by affinity photo and reopened by AP do not render the colors correctly. I have posted about this in a previous beta version like I believe the thumbnail problems were previously reported by others.

It seems to me that many important bugs were not corrected in the 1.7.1 and this is really something I consider intolerable. Also the problem with lighting filter while resizing an image I posted twice before and more recently two days ago has not been solved and this is a disgrace.  I am considering leaving AP. 

Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 6.59.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 7.10.15 PM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, srg said:

I have removed the 'save the file option' and what I obtained, as shown  in the attachment is a bigger size in the same range as the one with the attachments.

Just to be clear: I think you mean that you unchecked "Save Affinity Layers", as shown in your latest screen shots.

I suspect that your first export (first post in this topic) also had that setting off. It's clear (upon further examination) that your first set of screenshots and your second set where you showed that option were of different exports, as the pixel size of the image was different. So that option may have been meaningless.

But it leaves me wondering: Part of your initial question is why is the TIFF so much bigger than the .afphoto file. Looking at the screenshots, your exported TIFF has pixel dimensions of  16560px x 22320px. That's 369 MP (mega-pixels) if I multiplied correctly.

Your camera takes 36MP images, so somewhere in your processing you seem to have enlarged the image by a factor of roughly 100.

I don't think we've seen much information about your .afphoto file. Can you confirm the pixel dimensions of the .afphoto file, please?

Also, with a 369MP image, in RGB-16, I think that without compression a TIFF file might be about 2.2 GB. Your file is about 1.4 GB, but it's compressed. So that size might be reasonable.

(I could be wrong. But I think that in RGBA-16, each pixel should require 16-bits (2 bytes) per color, so 6 bytes per color plus however much A takes. Let's just say 6 bytes per pixel. 139MP * 6 would give 2.2 GB, approximately.)

 


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.145), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.2.424 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.2.424 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.2.422 Beta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A T

14 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Just to be clear: I think you mean that you unchecked "Save Affinity Layers", as shown in your latest screen shots.

I suspect that your first export (first post in this topic) also had that setting off. It's clear (upon further examination) that your first set of screenshots and your second set where you showed that option were of different exports, as the pixel size of the image was different. So that option may have been meaningless.

But it leaves me wondering: Part of your initial question is why is the TIFF so much bigger than the .afphoto file. Looking at the screenshots, your exported TIFF has pixel dimensions of  16560px x 22320px. That's 369 MP (mega-pixels) if I multiplied correctly.

Your camera takes 36MP images, so somewhere in your processing you seem to have enlarged the image by a factor of roughly 100.

I don't think we've seen much information about your .afphoto file. Can you confirm the pixel dimensions of the .afphoto file, please?

Also, with a 369MP image, in RGB-16, I think that without compression a TIFF file might be about 2.2 GB. Your file is about 1.4 GB, but it's compressed. So that size might be reasonable.

(I could be wrong. But I think that in RGBA-16, each pixel should require 16-bits (2 bytes) per color, so 6 bytes per color plus however much A takes. Let's just say 6 bytes per pixel. 139MP * 6 would give 2.2 GB, approximately.)

 

Hello Walt,  I may be wrong butTIFF  is supposed to be a lossless compression file.

The second image is a little larger in AP because I worked on it a little more but that is not my point.

I do not know about your pixel calculation, I am rather basic and the I showed in every post a .photo file and its exported .TIFF.

The other nightmare is the exported.PSD as I report in another post 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, srg said:

 I may be wrong butTIFF  is supposed to be a lossless compression file.

The second image is a little larger in AP because I worked on it a little more but that is not my point.

I do not know about your pixel calculation, I am rather basic and the I showed in every post a .photo file and its exported .TIFF.

Yes, TIFF is lossless compression, if you enabled compression. It's on by default in Publisher, so it was probably on.

Yes, you showed us details on the .afphoto file, but I don't think you ever gave us a screenshot that shows the pixel dimensions of that file. If you open the .afphoto file and switch to the View Tool (the hand), the Context Toolbar will show something like this:

image.png.afb82ae8f4179cb5a44d439aa25c4e25.png

If we could see that for your .afphoto file it would confirm or eliminate one possible explanation for what you're seeing.


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.145), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.2.424 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.2.424 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.2.422 Beta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the two screen shot give  for comparison the INFO that macOS gives for the file, exactly like for the TIFF file. 

347.8MB vs 1.39GB.

BTW I forgot to say I save on the internal SSD drive

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, srg said:

the two screen shot give  for comparison the INFO that macOS gives for the file, exactly like for the TIFF file. 

347.8MB vs 1.39GB

Yes, but the MacOS info is incomplete for your .afphoto file. It does not include the pixel dimensions. It would help if you'd provide the screen shot I suggested, which does include that info.


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.145), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.2.424 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.2.424 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.2.422 Beta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×