You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Layers not rendering properly

I have a 10GB .afphoto file (panorama, live stack groups) that managed to get into a "won't render properly" state (this is a recreation of the image that I'm blocked on because of a different crash issue).

If I manually walk through the history (but not just any way, though it's not clear what the pattern is since sometimes the issue will clear up, sometimes it won't), I can get it to render properly as expected. After correcting the rendering, I saved as a separate file and am able to continue working on it however, the "original" continues to exhibit the brokenness so you (Serif) may want to take a look at it. (I'll need an upload link please if you do.)

In one screenshot, you can see the transparent background and the blocky overlay -- the other shows what the corrected file looks like with no content changes, just re-playing the history.

Attached a screenshot of the layers as well just for fun.

Metal does not appear to be a factor on load+display because the same behavior on open happens with Metal enabled (my default) or using Software rendering (for testing/isolation). The screenshots of both were taken without Metal acceleration. The behavior exists on both internal and external display.

macOS Mojave 10.14.5, MBP2018 32G/i9/Vega20, External display: Cinema HD 30 via OWC Thunderbolt 3 dock + Apple Dual-link DVI to Mini DisplayPort adapter.

Screen Shot 2019-07-10 at 10.46.36 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-10 at 10.51.56 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-10 at 10.52.39 AM.png

Edited by Brad Brighton
Changed "works" to a less ambiguous phrasing to improve the description and context.

https://bmb.photos | Focus: The unexpected, the abstract, the extreme on screen, paper, & other physical outputTools: macOS (Primary: Ventura, MBP2018), Canon (Primary: 5D3), iPhone (Primary: 14PM), Nikon Film Scanners, Epson Printers

I am guessing that the problem is with the Live Stack, what happens when you render that first?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Just now, Old Bruce said:

I am guessing that the problem is with the Live Stack, what happens when you render that first?

Thanks @Old Bruce but playing with the visibility of the live stack does not resolve the issue. Even without walking the history, the file exports properly so I'm fairly confident the issue is in the screen rendering itself. 

As I said in the post though, I'm moving on with the production work since I was able to get past the glitch in a copy of the file but since my case appears to be reliably reproducible, I'm thinking the devs might want to explore how it got into that state (or at least understand the state it's in).

https://bmb.photos | Focus: The unexpected, the abstract, the extreme on screen, paper, & other physical outputTools: macOS (Primary: Ventura, MBP2018), Canon (Primary: 5D3), iPhone (Primary: 14PM), Nikon Film Scanners, Epson Printers

3 hours ago, Chris B said:

Here you go :) 

Thank you much! First try failed... glitch during the upload, likely. Re-attempting.