Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Android is the more popular platform for tablets. Any sign we might get them? I understand the stats would need to be high to run well but....please!?


I like turtles!

Windows 10

Pentax K3 and K3-ii

Sony RX10 Mkiii

Canon G5x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or Linux? :-)

Also one of the evergreens.


Affinity Store: Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 1.7.3.481.
Windows 10 Pro, Version 1903, Build 18362.418.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080.
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And can we also get a DAM / Lightroom replacement? :D


Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2019 at 6:23 PM, Phil_rose said:

Android is the more popular platform for tablets. Any sign we might get them? I understand the stats would need to be high to run well but....please!?

This answer is from two years ago, but I imagine it’s still valid:

 


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iPadOS 13.2.2 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Affinity on Android? Ha! Will ever never happen!

Just look at iOS vs Android concerning advanced music making apps, on iOS there’s 1000s of them, many very very Pro, but on Android it almost nothing (with a few exceptions)...

Why? Piracy is probably the biggest drawback on Android vs iOS...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Total market share of Android doesn't matter, Android is "fragmented."
Only small percentage of Android device can be supported due to its OS version and processing performance.
So it's not viable to develop Android version in current situation.
As you see many pro apps are only available on iOS platform.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, ashf said:

Total market share of Android doesn't matter, Android is "fragmented."
Only small percentage of Android device can be supported due to its OS version and processing performance.
So it's not viable to develop Android version in current situation.
As you see many pro apps are only available on iOS platform.

I don't see the fragmentation as the main concern.

I think as a main difference Apple users are more ready to pay the higher price for the pro apps.


Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, ErrkaPetti said:

advanced music making apps

The main reason you don't see many pro audio apps on Android is latency issues, absolutely nothing to do with piracy:

https://superpowered.com/androidaudiopathlatency

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/ios-android-music-audio-production-apps-peripherals/1127192-adroid-daw.html

http://forum.cakewalk.com/m/tm.aspx?m=3233214

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2018/02/17/10-years-later-android-audio-quality-still-lags/

 

 

3 minutes ago, Steps said:

Apple users are more ready to pay the higher price for the pro apps.

Cubasis is only $50 on the app store (pro music DAW).  The Affinity apps are only $20 on the app store.

I don't think the price of these apps has anything to do with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Steps said:

I think as a main difference Apple users are more ready to pay the higher price for the pro apps.

Yes that's right.
But I saw many developers say they won't create Android version of their app because they can support only small percentage of Android devices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Cubasis is only $50 on the app store (pro music DAW).  The Affinity apps are only $20 on the app store.

I don't think the price of these apps has anything to do with it.

I don't see many high prised apps for Android, but a lot for iOS.

I believe reports like this:


Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, ashf said:

Yes that's right.
But I saw many developers say they won't create Android version of their app because they can support only small percentage of Android devices.

I don't know what these apps are, but I'm both Android user and developer.

The fragmentation does not really matter to me since my minimum API target is Android 6.

I currently don't need or use any features of the higher versions and the app runs fine on about 300 client devices with mixed Android versions. I assume that this is also true for most of the apps out there.

Edited by Steps

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Steps said:

I don't know what these apps are, but I'm both Android user and developer.

The fragmentation does not really matter to me since my minimum API target is Android 6.

I currently don't need or use any features of the higher versions and the app runs fine on a hundreds of client devices with differenct Android versions. I assume that this is also true for most of the apps out there.

Understand, I just mentioned what developers said. especially those who provides an app that requires high performance such as 3d game.
Not sure if same goes for Affinity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ashf said:

Understand, I just mentioned what developers said. especially those who provides an app that requires high performance such as 3d game.
Not sure if same goes for Affinity.

And they are right if their app requires anything that is new in a recent API level. It indeed really takes a long time until a new Android version comes to the majority of deivces. Apple pushes iOS updates really hard and annoys you with update reminders. At my company we also have iOS development and for compatiblity testing some iPads should stay with an older version and how hard Apple tries to force updates is really another story to Android updates which give you a reminder once and never come back to ask again. Also of course most Android devices don't get updates anymore anyway.

And yes, it's annoying. We want to switch to Android 7 as minimum supported version, because we desire to use some Java 8 features. But there are still some working client devices out there that only can upgrade to Android 6.

TL;DR: It really depends on the API level you need how many devices you can reach. If you need the latest Android features you have a problem. If you can live with an 5 year old API you can reach nearly all devices (and fragmentation does not matter).


Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, fde101 said:

The main reason you don't see many pro audio apps on Android is latency issues, absolutely nothing to do with piracy:

https://superpowered.com/androidaudiopathlatency

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/ios-android-music-audio-production-apps-peripherals/1127192-adroid-daw.html

http://forum.cakewalk.com/m/tm.aspx?m=3233214

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2018/02/17/10-years-later-android-audio-quality-still-lags/

 

 

Cubasis is only $50 on the app store (pro music DAW).  The Affinity apps are only $20 on the app store.

I don't think the price of these apps has anything to do with it.

Yeah, latency may be the first concern to avoid Android, but piracy is second...

I’m deep into iOS and music apps (have bought music apps for at least 2000$ since first iPad 2010) and met a lot of developer (and read a lot from the big devs out there) and they are very worried about piracy, more than fragmentation on Android, that’s facts...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2019 at 6:06 PM, Steps said:

I don't see the fragmentation as the main concern.

I think as a main difference Apple users are more ready to pay the higher price for the pro apps.

This is not new.  Before iPhones and iPads the Mac was the choice of professional designers, photographers etc.

I have worked with both over my 30 year career in IT.  At the end I was responsible for all desktops, laptops, servers etc but had a MacBook Pro and iMac at home for my photography work.  I would have loved to have replaced all the desktops with Macs but yes the cost is high but an Apple Desktop / MacBook had a far longer working life and still do.  I would argue that it’s the same with the iPhone and iPad as IOS tends to work on previous versions.    

The Microsoft environment depended on the hardware installed so to manage a large stock of machines  you could do this by building each one or use a disk image but if the hardware changed you needed a new image

Also consider if the Apple environment is pitched still at designers, photographers ( Adobe have appeared  a few times on recent Apple Events ) the the ability to use the same kit and ethos throughout the product range just makes things easy.  

You don’t have that with Android.  Is there a desktop version?  The take up of updated software is lower on Android.  So there isn’t the same level of continuity.

Not knocking Android - when I was younger I loved to tinker, built my on PC, and kept upgrading it.  I probably would have gone Android - I was tempted recently with the Hawei 30 Pro just for the camera.  

Still have a dislike of Microsoft only because when they were ruling the roost they treated business clients really shabbily. :)

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.