You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can we get Affinity on Android?

Or Linux? :-)

Also one of the evergreens.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

On 7/10/2019 at 6:23 PM, Phil_rose said:

Android is the more popular platform for tablets. Any sign we might get them? I understand the stats would need to be high to run well but....please!?

This answer is from two years ago, but I imagine it’s still valid:

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Total market share of Android doesn't matter, Android is "fragmented."
Only small percentage of Android device can be supported due to its OS version and processing performance.
So it's not viable to develop Android version in current situation.
As you see many pro apps are only available on iOS platform.

18 hours ago, ashf said:

Total market share of Android doesn't matter, Android is "fragmented."
Only small percentage of Android device can be supported due to its OS version and processing performance.
So it's not viable to develop Android version in current situation.
As you see many pro apps are only available on iOS platform.

I don't see the fragmentation as the main concern.

I think as a main difference Apple users are more ready to pay the higher price for the pro apps.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

20 hours ago, ErrkaPetti said:

advanced music making apps

The main reason you don't see many pro audio apps on Android is latency issues, absolutely nothing to do with piracy:

https://superpowered.com/androidaudiopathlatency

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/ios-android-music-audio-production-apps-peripherals/1127192-adroid-daw.html

http://forum.cakewalk.com/m/tm.aspx?m=3233214

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2018/02/17/10-years-later-android-audio-quality-still-lags/

3 minutes ago, Steps said:

Apple users are more ready to pay the higher price for the pro apps.

Cubasis is only $50 on the app store (pro music DAW).  The Affinity apps are only $20 on the app store.

I don't think the price of these apps has anything to do with it.

52 minutes ago, Steps said:

I think as a main difference Apple users are more ready to pay the higher price for the pro apps.

Yes that's right.
But I saw many developers say they won't create Android version of their app because they can support only small percentage of Android devices.

39 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Cubasis is only $50 on the app store (pro music DAW).  The Affinity apps are only $20 on the app store.

I don't think the price of these apps has anything to do with it.

I don't see many high prised apps for Android, but a lot for iOS.

I believe reports like this:

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

10 minutes ago, ashf said:

Yes that's right.
But I saw many developers say they won't create Android version of their app because they can support only small percentage of Android devices.

I don't know what these apps are, but I'm both Android user and developer.

The fragmentation does not really matter to me since my minimum API target is Android 6.

I currently don't need or use any features of the higher versions and the app runs fine on about 300 client devices with mixed Android versions. I assume that this is also true for most of the apps out there.

Edited by Steps

4 minutes ago, Steps said:

I don't know what these apps are, but I'm both Android user and developer.

The fragmentation does not really matter to me since my minimum API target is Android 6.

I currently don't need or use any features of the higher versions and the app runs fine on a hundreds of client devices with differenct Android versions. I assume that this is also true for most of the apps out there.

Understand, I just mentioned what developers said. especially those who provides an app that requires high performance such as 3d game.
Not sure if same goes for Affinity.

9 minutes ago, ashf said:

Understand, I just mentioned what developers said. especially those who provides an app that requires high performance such as 3d game.
Not sure if same goes for Affinity.

And they are right if their app requires anything that is new in a recent API level. It indeed really takes a long time until a new Android version comes to the majority of deivces. Apple pushes iOS updates really hard and annoys you with update reminders. At my company we also have iOS development and for compatiblity testing some iPads should stay with an older version and how hard Apple tries to force updates is really another story to Android updates which give you a reminder once and never come back to ask again. Also of course most Android devices don't get updates anymore anyway.

And yes, it's annoying. We want to switch to Android 7 as minimum supported version, because we desire to use some Java 8 features. But there are still some working client devices out there that only can upgrade to Android 6.

TL;DR: It really depends on the API level you need how many devices you can reach. If you need the latest Android features you have a problem. If you can live with an 5 year old API you can reach nearly all devices (and fragmentation does not matter).

• 1 month later...
On 7/24/2019 at 6:06 PM, Steps said:

I don't see the fragmentation as the main concern.

This is not new.  Before iPhones and iPads the Mac was the choice of professional designers, photographers etc.

I have worked with both over my 30 year career in IT.  At the end I was responsible for all desktops, laptops, servers etc but had a MacBook Pro and iMac at home for my photography work.  I would have loved to have replaced all the desktops with Macs but yes the cost is high but an Apple Desktop / MacBook had a far longer working life and still do.  I would argue that it’s the same with the iPhone and iPad as IOS tends to work on previous versions.    

The Microsoft environment depended on the hardware installed so to manage a large stock of machines  you could do this by building each one or use a disk image but if the hardware changed you needed a new image

Also consider if the Apple environment is pitched still at designers, photographers ( Adobe have appeared  a few times on recent Apple Events ) the the ability to use the same kit and ethos throughout the product range just makes things easy.  

You don’t have that with Android.  Is there a desktop version?  The take up of updated software is lower on Android.  So there isn’t the same level of continuity.

Not knocking Android - when I was younger I loved to tinker, built my on PC, and kept upgrading it.  I probably would have gone Android - I was tempted recently with the Hawei 30 Pro just for the camera.  

Still have a dislike of Microsoft only because when they were ruling the roost they treated business clients really shabbily. :)