Jump to content
AdjBattle

Looking for a good recording software for affinity designer

Recommended Posts

Hi there. I have been using affinity designer for a number of years and recently would like to start recording my workflow to create timelapses. Im looking for a software to capture affinity designer while I do this. Specifically I want to capture just affinity designer so if I minimise it or open another tab over the top it still shows shows the only affinity designer.

I've tried OBS which has this specific feature however the canvas records blank. Does anyone know a software that would work?

Progress:

Windows inbuilt game recording feature allows you to record windows even if they are minimised.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just had a go with it doesnt record specific windows

9 minutes ago, CLC said:

For me LiceCAP from https://www.cockos.com/licecap/ works well for both Mac and Windows.

It records to its own .lcf loseless format, but also to .gif directly (I know, color depth of .gif files isn't awesome, but it might be good enough, just try).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another vote for ShareX. Brilliant software.

As for recording workflows of just a specific window, I use helpXplain https://www.helpandmanual.com/hx/.

It records individual clicks and then puts them together like an animated flick book. The advantage to this is that you can remove (or add) any unwanted stages post production.

It's been on offer for $49 (I think that actually ends today!), but the normal price is still only $99.

EDIT: Probably useless for showcasing drawing software though. Sorry. :$

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, CLC said:

But it records anything within specified frame. But I understand.

Another go is ShareX (if you're on Windows) at https://getsharex.com - it allows you to record a specific window.

Just had a go nice software and It does let you select a specific window eg affinity designer. But if while recording say you bring up your emails it will record that. This seems to be a very hard query honestly I've been looking for this myself for several hours now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, AdjBattle said:

Just had a go nice software and It does let you select a specific window eg affinity designer. But if while recording say you bring up your emails it will record that. This seems to be a very hard query honestly I've been looking for this myself for several hours now.

If you got obtrusive notifications set up in your e-mail client, just disable them while recording. Easier than you'd think :D

Or just close the mail client completely while you're recording. Maybe setup your phone so it can catch new mails during recording?
Possibilities are limitless, you just have to try ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, InfoCentral said:

I use the industry standard Camtasia Studio myself although it certainly isn't the cheapest way to go.

Yeah I just tried camtasia and it also has the same issue. Im after something that can record a specific program in use not just screen capture. If you had affinity being recorded in camtasia and open your music etc then that window gets recorded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok so to answer my original question that answer is to use windows xbox recording software :P 

So if you open the xbox software tutorial here: 

You can tell the xbox capture that affinity is a video game. Then when you open affinity you can bring up the recording bar with windows + G and then start recording. You can open any other program check your emails etc and it will only show this screen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AdjBattle said:

Im after something that can record a specific program in use not just screen capture.

You don't mention what operating system you are using.
On Windows the ScreenHunter screen capture application can record video of specific windows even if partially covered, or even minimized. Requires Aero to be On.

If you are on a Mac perhaps some other screen capture apps with video capability can also do this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

currently using windows. Screenhunter also perfectly fits what I'm looking for thanks. Ill have a go with it as soon as possible to see if its of better use. 

1 hour ago, LibreTraining said:

You don't mention what operating system you are using.
On Windows the ScreenHunter screen capture application can record video of specific windows even if partially covered, or even minimized. Requires Aero to be On.

 If you are on a Mac perhaps some other screen capture apps with video capability can also do this.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, AdjBattle said:

I've tried OBS which has this specific feature however the canvas records blank.

Had same weird problem, but there's a workaround - as source set screen instead of window, then canvas will be recorded

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, gabriel_komorov said:

Had same weird problem, but there's a workaround - as source set screen instead of window, then canvas will be recorded

If only OBS worked this would have been so much easier :) 

Yeah but then its just screen capture and im constantly opening tabs. The windows game recorder method I'm trying at the moment means that I can continue my regular workflow of tabbing out every few minutes to change song or look up a reference but the video is just that of my affinity work so Im not having to chop all the tabbing out of the end video im just left with a solid timelapse that I can just speed up.

I started recording a timelapse now using this method before very quickly realising I need to draw and scan a few more assets to complete it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×