slchapin41

Photo: Can any DAM read .afphoto files?

I'm working at switching from Photoshop. But I'm stymied because once I have more than a few edited images, I don't see how to view my .afphoto files to decide which one I want to open into APhoto for further work.

Does anyone have any suggestions? For now, rather than waiting for the Affinity DAM they say they maybe going to provide sometime in the future? 

Note that the DAM function I really, really need is not everything Lightroom does, just the Library module.

Thanks,

- newbie susan

Hi Slchapin41,

Welcome to the forums :)

As far as I'm aware there are no apps that can read native Affinity files bar our own.

Thanks

C

You can see the previews in Mac Finder (and presumably also in Windows). Also at least XnView MP can show previews when set right.

30 minutes ago, Fixx said:

XnView MP can show previews when set right.

XnView MP displays the embedded jpeg - AP has to have the create thumbnail option selected.

AP user, running Win10

Thank you for the reference to XnView MP. I hadn't known about it.

Now, how do I set my Mac version "right" to show me .afphoto thumbnails? They don't show (but are saved and they show in Finder). I don't see .afphoto listed in preferences/formats.

- newbie susan

I think it's Tools / Settings / Thumbnail / Misc / Use embedded thumbnail.  I've got the thumbnails cached, so I'll need to do more playing to confirm it.

AP user, running Win10

Thanks, but no. I have Use embedded thumbnail set. There is discussion on the XnView forum that with Affinity Photo 1.7 thumbnails don't show any more; I was, and still am, hoping that you or someone here has got it working. Or that there is another workaround.

- newbie susan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Win10(1903)Home / Photo / Designer / Publisher & latest (beta) versions

THANK YOU. EVERYONE who helped. It was three settings:

- In Affinity, turn on Save Thumbnails

- In XnView, General/ Show all graphic files and Thumbnails/Use embedded thumbnails

It is working now! Looks like I won't have to go back to Photoshop/Lightroom after all. 

- newbie susan

Just now, slchapin41 said:

I was, and still am, hoping that you or someone here has got it working.

XnViewMP v0.92 definitely displays AP1.7 thumbnails! 

<edit>

Glad you've got it working!

AP user, running Win10

XnViewMP has gotten a lot of good press on this forum. My understanding of it (and I am not a user, so this is limited) is that XnViewMP is an image browser, not an asset manager (DAM). If you are looking for a full-fledged DAM that can display Affinity Photo files (or at least the embedded previews) take a look at Photo Supreme. It is not free (as is XnViewMP) but it is a true DAM, with keywording, geotagging, portfolios, versioning, and so forth and so on. It is available for Mac and for Windows. If you add the affinity extension into the Preferences (see below) you can catalogue your Affinity Photo files and see their previews. It is a powerful tool.

post-12953-0-42608600-1496340191_thumb.jpg

Thank you, smadell. Photo Supreme is another good find. I've downloaded the trial. At a first look, it appears adequate to my needs, though it is no replacement for Lightroom. But I can use it to managed my .afphoto files. Hopefully Serif will develop a DAM soon.

15 hours ago, smadell said:

XnViewMP has gotten a lot of good press on this forum. My understanding of it (and I am not a user, so this is limited) is that XnViewMP is an image browser, not an asset manager (DAM).

It is not a full featured DAM but it does have a hierarchical category system that functions much like keywords, various kinds of batch processing, & several other DAM-like features.

Affinity Photo 1.7.2, Affinity Designer 1.7.2, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 & Affinity Designer 1.7.2.6 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

Daminion 6.0 free version can have multiple catalogs containing up to 15000 images each and will show thumbnails of affinity files.  Affinity files cannot be viewed in the built in viewer but will open Affinity on click. This is a full DAM and keeps multiple versions with revision checking.  The free version will not operate over a network but a paid version will as well as having unlimited catalog size. You have to add the affinity file extensions to the choice of files to open. Excellent program for affinity users. Files can be tagged and categorized for large collections. Not many people seem to know about it. 

image.thumb.png.577c6a52b4d85dcdafb40c551fb540a9.pngreen shot

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately for me, Daminion is Windows only, and I'm on a Mac. I see that Daminion 3 runs under Crossover, so it might be worth a try to see if Daminion 6 will run correctly. The free version would likely meet my needs.

I've been using Photo Supreme trial, and it is very weak and dreadfully overpriced, so I'm glad to know about another possibility. I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around the idea that Serif is setting themselves up as an Adobe alternative, but don't give (us) a DAM for .afphoto files. Lightroom functionality without the Develop module, which isn't needed with APhoto, couldn't be that hard to develop.