You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can I make a Stroke Metallic?

I am working on my next Designer Kit for Affinity...

But I  want the styles to have metallic strokes, like silver gold copper ect.Shiny shiny metal.  Or glitters. How do I or Can I do that? Stroke only allows colurs that are flat or gradient.Niot able to make them from bitmaps like the Fill.

Or am I  missing something? 

Thank you !!

• Staff

Hi LyricsGirl,
Regarding using Bitmaps for the Stroke: select the object with the stroke, switch to the Fill Tool, set the Context dropdown to Stroke in the context toolbar and the Type dropdown to Bitmap (immediately after the Context dropdown you set in the earlier step). Select the file/bitmap you want to use as a texture for the Stroke from the dialog. This will be saved with the Style for the object.

Regarding Metal effects (gold, silver etc) you can achieve them using some Layer Effects - in particular the #D and Bevel / Emboss (with and without textures as explained in the section above).

• Staff

Check the screenshot below. Notice the Fill Tool selected on the toolbar on the left and the Context and Type dropdown right above the work area in the context toolbar (note the metal examples don't have any texture applied - it's the rectangle below that was selected when I picked the Fill Tool to apply a texture/image to the stroke):

Fill Tool_context toolbar2.jpg

Thank you.. but  surely it only works for the FILL and not the Stroke? I think I shall  go and get rid of this  migraine and look at it in my morning. ..  Thank you so much, I truly appreciate it!  Once I get an idea for designers kit I like to see it through, but not tonight. Again Youre a champ! 

• Staff

Hi LyricsGirl,
Have you changed the Context dropdown to Stroke? See the screenshot below the dropdown(s) marked in red. Can you attach the file with the object you are trying to add a bitmap fill to the stroke - there may be something I'm missing (you can delete all the rest from that file). Thanks.

Fill Tool_context toolbar3.jpg

Oh, Yay!!!!  Found my brain today and IT WORKS!!! 

Thank you so much  MEB  !!!!

Also a HUGE Thanks to Carl Surry of the Face Book Fans of Serif Software user group for this:

So I am now working on my  next Designers Kit!