You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi Alan Powell,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
I assume you are running Windows? Can you confirm this please? If so you need to install the codecs specific for your camera on Windows (you can get them from the camera's manufacturer website) or install a codec pack like FastPictureViewer Codec Pack 3.8 Windows Add-In which will display previews for almost all RAW and other file formats (PSD, DNG etc).

If you're running Windows 10 with the May 2019 update (1903), you can download the Microsoft 'Raw Image Extension' from the Microsoft Store.  This will display thumbnails and metadata in Windows File Explorer and the Photos app for most cameras—although it doesn't currently support Canon .CR3 raw files at the moment.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/raw-image-extension/9nctdw2w1bh8

On 7/10/2019 at 12:38 PM, - S - said:

If you're running Windows 10 with the May 2019 update (1903), you can download the Microsoft 'Raw Image Extension' from the Microsoft Store.  This will display thumbnails and metadata in Windows File Explorer and the Photos app for most cameras—although it doesn't currently support Canon .CR3 raw files at the moment.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/raw-image-extension/9nctdw2w1bh8

A message says that I own the microsoft raw image extension but my raw images are still not available as thumbnails on my desktop folder?

On 7/10/2019 at 12:04 PM, Alan Powell said:

How do I preview raw files when I download them from my camera before opening them in Affinity photo? 

45 minutes ago, Alan Powell said:

Sorry - Affinity photo raw files

There's a misunderstanding here!  Different cameras produce different RAW files, and displaying the thumbnails in Windows means you need the right codec to be installed, as @MEB said.  Once AP has opened the RAW file it can be exported to an image format such as JPEG or saved in Affinity's own format but it can't ever be saved as a RAW file.  If you've saved the image as an Affinity file and you can't see a thumbnail, go to Edit / Preferences / General and make sure that "Save thumbnails with documents" is checked.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

Well in order to preview raw files (thumbnails or a jpg preview of those) on the desktop you need to have a RAW codec installed which supports your specific camera generated RAW files. So it's always important what camera (vendor and model) you use here in order to download a software codec which supports it's RAW file format. - Some camera vendors like Nikon etc. also offer own RAW file (NEF) codecs for Windows, which when installed offer to preview and show up in Win explorer thumbnails of the RAW image files.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

6 hours ago, Alan Powell said:

A message says that I own the microsoft raw image extension but my raw images are still not available as thumbnails on my desktop folder?

If in the Microsoft Store app it says "You own this app", rather than "This product is installed", then it's possible that it isn't actually installed.

What does the button on the right-hand side say?  If it says "Install", then although you own the app, it isn't actually installed.   Perhaps it needs re-installing again, as originally it was a beta extension.

001.thumb.png.ae62cb9104a16c103d13595f3b266f85.png

002.thumb.png.79e65cca0a27aa22e10b099da4a2379b.png

6 hours ago, Alan Powell said:

Thank you. I have at last managed to view my Affinity photo raw files on the desktop using Raw Image Extension. (Windows update wasn't installed!) 

But now I cannot view PSD files on my desktop.

Probably about 10+ years ago, Adobe stopped providing PSD codecs for Windows.  Likely either due to a licencing disagreement, or they got the hump about Microsoft's new codec requirements, or because they wanted people to use Adobe Bridge—I don't know.  Therefore you will need to use third-party codecs to see thumbnails for PSD files in Windows File Explorer.

You'll need to be careful downloading and installing third-party codecs; if they're not reputable they could potentially be malicious or cause problems.  FastPictureViewer Codec Pack (paid) is often mentioned by other people, however I'm not sure whether it's still in active development.  The last update was 2017 and their Twitter account went dead around the same time.

When Serif release their Affinity Digital Asset Manager, it could possibly have a Bridge-like file explorer that will show thumbnails for PSD files, but obviously I don't know whether this will be the case or not.

23 minutes ago, - S - said:

FastPictureViewer Codec Pack (paid) is often mentioned by other people, however I'm not sure whether it's actually still in active development.

I don't know whether it's still being developed, but it doesn't support PSD files (at least my version doesn't). 

<edit>

According to the website, it supports PSD - maybe it's just not as straightforward as the other formats....

1 hour ago, IanSG said:

According to the website, it supports PSD - maybe it's just not as straightforward as the other formats....

There's a known issue with displaying PSD files - uninstalling / reinstalling fixed it!