You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

So this one is a bit of a niche filter, but it is one of my favourites (it does an excellent job at breaking up hard edges, and helps bind layers together beautifully if you're going for the grainy look but don't want to introduce standard grain/noise)
Especially when photobashing for concept art, "I use it on the daily".

@Izzy Could you please explain what a reticulation filter is? What does it do? Are you asking Affinity to provide one?

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Reticulation is certain kind of graininess, which is result of using wrong temperature liquid in film developing. Difference in temperature causes reticulation. The effect can display differently depending temperature error and other factors, here s one:
26119547555_7a53e6514f_b.jpg

Thanks @Fixx. I knew what reticulation was in terms of films, but I could not relate this to what @Izzy said in the original posting.

11 hours ago, Izzy said:

it does an excellent job at breaking up hard edges, and helps bind layers together beautifully

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Hey @John Rostron, @Fixx pretty much nailed the technical description.
I use it on my concept art to blend edges for certain artwork, here is a sample I used it on.
It's mixed in with a few other things I use to create this style of mine, subtly used but still important for me. Wish I had more samples but NDA means waiting for the projects I worked on to actually release (and some projects have schedules that span years of course)
So I still swap to Photoshop occasionally to use it.

I've been really eager to make a hard swap, and I've gone as far as recreating custom brushes and learning the new workflow (which I love btw, it's way more adaptable) - but I'll still swap back every now and then for 1 or 2 tools.
It is a very niche tool, so I understand it might not be a priority, but you never know unless you ask.

7 hours ago, Izzy said:

It is a very niche tool,

Could you not blend Noise and/or Perlin Noise filters together?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
On 10/25/2020 at 2:57 PM, Nuth1n said:

My method isn't accurate at all, but it get's the job done and the overall look I like.

Here's my layer stack. I learnt to do a lot of procedural work in blender which carried over to affinity photo quite nicely.
Hope it helps :)

Hi Nuth1n,

that's some real nice work! I just watched a YT clip by Brady from Texturelabs (which are always a pleasure to watch, even if you eventually ditched PS...) on the Photoshop side of grainy gradients and I immediately wondered if (and if yes how) you could possibly do something close to that in Affinity Photo. Your file is a very helpful reference here!

One would wish, though, it could be a bit less complex in AP and more straightforward as it is in PS, but as Affinity Photo hasn't got that Reticulation filter I guess that cannot be helped. Actually – mostly when doing more illustrative work –  I quite often find myself missing some of those effects in AP which PS's Filter Gallery has been offering for such a long time now.

But then, we're just in version 2.3.1 with AP whereas PS is currently v 25.4...

Hi, @Lorox. I noticed your post a few days ago. I also watched the Texturelabs video, and enjoyed it. I have posted a macro in the Resources section (see below) which duplicates this effect fairly convincingly. You might want to take a look.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17