You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have an issue in Publisher with the programme not converting the letter "f" correctly to PDF when the f comes before a lower case L , an i, or - occasionally, another f.

Th issue became worse once it had been through the printers' proofing process.

Is this a bug? If not, what am i doing wrong?!

Publisher F Issue - as it appears in Publisher.jpg

Publisher F Issue - as it appears in a PDF.jpg

Is this a repeatable issue or just a single document issue?

Could you upload the pub file? if you would rather it remain out of the public arena a mod could give you a dropbox link to upload to so they can take a look. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Hi firstdefence

I've only just started using Publisher, because I've found it a bit intimidating after PagePlus, and it does seem to crash a fair bit, so I couldn't say in all honesty if it's a repeatable issue or not.

I've got a feeling that all the affected parts are in text that I've pasted in from Word documents, but surely if it looks okay in Publisher, it should look okay in the output?

Also, I don't have the time to experiment with it this week!

I have uploaded the one of the affected pages, as there's nothing sensitive in it - it's quite educational actually!

Programme RWNS.afpub

• Staff

Hi Dolly Levi,

This isn't happening for me here when I try it, please could try changing the font then re export and see if you have the same issue?

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

22 minutes ago, Callum said:

This isn't happening for me here when I try it, please could try changing the font then re export and see if you have the same issue?

Hi Callum, I have seen this issue in Word when output to PDF from Word. It was a mystery, I did a bit of Googling a couple of years ago when it was seriously affecting my workflow, it seems the error occurs when Microsoft issues updates, they are not always in sync with the PDF formats, at the time I was Using Acrobat, the issue used to resolve & reoccur a lot. f & i were the ones affected and at the time they were not replaced by anything, just blank spaces

I had this issue decades ago when I was trying to implement TeX on a Pr1me mini-computer. I had to delve into the C  source code to find and fix the problem. It was indeed a ligature issue. What I did as a stopgap was to avoid the ligatured words! 

You should be able to turn ligatures on and off in Publisher..

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

12 hours ago, Dolly Levi said:

I have an issue in Publisher with the programme not converting the letter "f" correctly to PDF when the f comes before a lower case L , an i, or - occasionally, another f.

That is an issue with the ligatures.
Which PDF Export Setting are you using?

The PDF (for web) setting does not require embedding All Fonts like the other settings.
In another discussion this caused an issue with the ligatures.

In that case changing the default to embed All Fonts fixed the issue.