You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

So, this is something I can't get used to and what I believe is some kind of bug - because it makes simple task apparently imposible to do (at least in straightforward way).

Let's say we want to draw shape like this:

goal.png.2a737e0b8812813f6788ed58201ddc6c.png

Now, what is trivial in Corel...

is impossible in Designer:

I've worked with Corel for past 12 years and IMO it's curve calculations and node shaping feels more natural and logical than those in Designer.

Convice me otherwise. And if this is intentional, then can you explain what advantages this have over Corel's implementation? Why it's this way?

For now - wtf Affinity?

Hi, gabriel_komorov,

Why did you change the node to smooth? Leave them sharp. Turn on snapping, and the handles for the nodes can easily be positioned for symmetry.

As is the case when moving from any software to another of a similar type, old methods often get in the way of learning the new.

FWIW, I used Corel a lot quite a few years ago. I still have a version running on and old "snowball" iMAC G4, and when I started using Designer, I continued using Corel keyboard short cuts for several weeks

PreciseCurves.thumb.jpg.16493c1d36fd6724b0ca837cd22a607c.jpg

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

7 hours ago, gabriel_komorov said:

For now - wtf Affinity?

Well, it's actually quite easy, it's just that shapes you create with Rectangle Tool (or the other Shape Tools) aren't curves by default, you have to convert them to curves first. It's a different workflow, but it's as simple or even simpler than in Corel thanks to snapping helpers.

The reason Shapes aren't curves by default is that you can perform some shape editing (see the contextual toolbar) that way. Once you convert a Shape to Curves, you lose those abilities.

See attached video.

shape-editing.gif

1 hour ago, CLC said:

Rectangle Tool (or the other Shape Tools) aren't curves by default, you have to convert them to curves

Yes, I know. This is the same as in Corel

4 hours ago, gdenby said:

Why did you change the node to smooth?

picard-facepalm.jpg.887a431386ee59adfd603733a7848ab0.jpg

It seems that I'm just stupid... Coming from Corel it never came to my mind that sharp node is already "curved". I assumed that it works same way.

F***in LOL at me for not checking obvious . Now it makes sense