You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

90 Page Book Document Will Not Load - spinning beach ball

Seem it can't get by one of the linked resource files (Affinity Designer file) that has over 30 artboards. Just spins it wheels.

Can't do anything with the file. Have been saving backups manually and this is the second time I'll loose several hours of work with Publisher (1.7.1 or beta 1.7.1.420).

Document is 90 pages. 17 sections a.k.a. chapters. and graphic intensive with of more of the graphic done in Affinity Designer.

Like most here I'm hoping to bag InDesign.

Curt Sheller

Curt Sheller Publications

Sorry to hear that you're having a problem.

As a workaround, if you were to rename the directory containing the problem file(s), you should be able to get the Publisher file opened. Then perhaps you could use the Resource Manager to relink the files. Or, if you've identified the .afdesign file that is causing problems, rename that file until you get the main Publisher document open.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Sorry to hear that you're having a problem.

As a workaround, if you were to rename the directory containing the problem file(s), you should be able to get the Publisher file opened. Then perhaps you could use the Resource Manager to relink the files. Or, if you've identified the .afdesign file that is causing problems, rename that file until you get the main Publisher document open.

Will give this a try. Went with embed for now and broke Designer out in to files with fewer artboards.

Did all of that. I have saved copies, a lot of copies I save ever 30 minutes or so and have to keep going back to previous versions. Shouldn't have to take three steps forward and two back all the time. Still takes time to recreated what is lost.

It seems to be something with the Resource Manager tracking modified files. Happens whether embed or linked files - did both.

2 hours ago, Jon P said:

If you don't have much luck with Walts suggestion feel free to upload the problematic afpub and afdesign files here and I'll take a look

Uploaded files.

Here is screen shot of when document stops loading.

Screen-shot-Publisher.jpg

--- New Info

Have backups saved every every so often or after a lot of changes or additions. Loading any of them have the same issue - stalls at a a point in the loading proccess and can;t go any further - locks up and need to force quit. Mac Activity Monitor reports Application Not Responding.

Edited by curtsheller
Additional information discovered.

• Staff

Thanks for providing the file.

Edit: So this file did load on my Mac, but it took around 10 minutes, compared to it nearly instantly loading on Windows

Can you leave it loading for a while and check if you get the same?

I will see if I can figure out what might be the cause, but I've logged it for the developers to investigate further.

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

On 7/11/2019 at 5:15 AM, Jon P said:

Thanks for providing the file.

Edit: So this file did load on my Mac, but it took around 10 minutes, compared to it nearly instantly loading on Windows

Can you leave it loading for a while and check if you get the same?

I will see if I can figure out what might be the cause, but I've logged it for the developers to investigate further.

Back at this again.

I re-created  file from a PDF backup and all was going well until almost done with 90+ pages, TOC, linked images, edits, etc. Went and added an image (Designer file with multiple artboards) - closed and then did some edits on linked Designer files. Opened file and app locks up. Happens whether cancelling Resource Manager dialogue, responding yes, no, etc... Have to force quit. Locks up when navigating to any part of the document - scrolling or clicking on page icon in Pages panel. All result in spinning beachball and Mac's Acctivity Monitor reporting App Not Responding.

I have been saving backups with every mayor change or edits to file. Have several over two days and they all do the same when trying to open. Didn't create PDF with the backups so I'm screwed. Can't afford the time to re-create again at this time. Will have to come up with other options. Going to try Time Machine to restore  entire book folder with .afpub file and Designer art files to backup right be for issues.  At least to get a PDF to re-create book somewhere else.

I created a 50+ page book in between this and no issues so far.

Thinking something with linked art and Resource Manager. Would be great to turn off images in document and show placeholders without Pub trying to find links

I have even moved art folder with 90% of where the linked files are and the pages that are visible before freeze still show the images. Must be some sort of caching.

Any help would be great - totally lost.

Don't have a PC or I would buy Windows version and just recover from there.

Can support open file and export to PDF for me? Don't have access to PC.

I have 50 some books from InDesign I want to convert ( from PDF files) over time. Have done four so far with no issues - but getting leary of trying any more. Most are graphic intensive.

Curt

Just now, curtsheller said:

Back at this again.

I re-created  file from a PDF backup and all was going well until almost done with 90+ pages, TOC, linked images, edits, etc. Went and added an image (Designer file with multiple artboards) - closed and then did some edits on linked Designer files. Opened file and app locks up. Happens whether cancelling Resource Manager dialogue, responding yes, no, etc... Have to force quit. Locks up when navigating to any part of the document - scrolling or clicking on page icon in Pages panel. All result in spinning beachball and Mac's Acctivity Monitor reporting App Not Responding.

I have been saving backups with every mayor change or edits to file. Have several over two days and they all do the same when trying to open. Didn't create PDF with the backups so I'm screwed. Can't afford the time to re-create again at this time. Will have to come up with other options. Going to try Time Machine to restore  entire book folder with .afpub file and Designer art files to backup right be for issues.  At least to get a PDF to re-create book somewhere else.

I created a 50+ page book in between this and no issues so far.

Thinking something with linked art and Resource Manager. Would be great to turn off images in document and show placeholders without Pub trying to find links

I have even moved art folder with 90% of where the linked files are and the pages that are visible before freeze still show the images. Must be some sort of caching.

Any help would be great - totally lost.

Don't have a PC or I would buy Windows version and just recover from there.

Can support open file and export to PDF for me? Don't have access to PC.

I have 50 some books from InDesign I want to convert ( from PDF files) over time. Have done four so far with no issues - but getting leary of trying any more. Most are graphic intensive.

Curt

Using beta .422.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.