You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm trying to use the Healing Brush but it's quit working.  I've have cropped a JPEG file and I'm trying to use the healing bush to remove a portion or the image.  When I hit Alt-Click  I get the + mark, but when I try to bush over the area nothing happens except the bush cursor and the + mark move around on the area I'm trying to fix.  It worked before.

Also when it was working some of the healed area was darker than the source.

Any explanation what might be the problem?

• Staff

Hi Mike1283,

When using the healing brush, make sure on the Toolbar along the top, you have Opacity set to 100, same for Flow.  If these are set to 0 you won't see anything when using the tool.

13 hours ago, Mike1283 said:

Also when it was working some of the healed area was darker than the source.

Not sure about that one, i've used the healing brush to remove some black text from a white object and it's worked fine.  Can you attach a sample image this happens on?

This is a screen capture from Affinity of the file I'm working on. It is an old newspaper clipping from 1926.  I'm trying to remove the black text at the top, but instead of pasting the brownish background color, it pastes a darker shade of color.  The cross-hair is at the top about a quarter of the way from the left side.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Have you checked you’ve got the correct layer selected? and you’re not on an adjustment or filter layer applied to it? I’m always doing that by mistake, effectively healing or cloning the mask for an adjustment layer. :/ 

8 hours ago, Dazzler said:

healing or cloning the mask for an adjustment layer

I also do this sort of thing. In other news... yesterday I re-recorded a MIDI track instead of the audio track, undo that recording and then record a silent audio track (twice).

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

3 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

yesterday I re-recorded a MIDI track instead of the audio track, undo that recording and then record a silent audio track (twice).

LOL Can't say I've ever done that one, my usual thing for music is to think I pressed the record button but instead I've pressed the play button. This normally happens when your performance is at it's peak and you realise it's gone forever!

Thinking about the OP, have you tried the in-painting tool rather than the healing tool? It might give a decent result, although I realise the two are quite similar i nature. Also, try to obliterate the entire object you want to get rid of in one hit rather than several steps as these tools will try to blend the edges of your painting back into what the surrounding area is, which may explain the dark graduations coming from the line. If there's not a lot of surrounding area then you may have to work at it a bit to get what you want, but I normally find getting as much as possible in one hit the best start, then work on the things that it may have duplicated into the fill as a second step.