You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Index Section Heading doesn't affect "1"

Thanks for changing the indexing to include topic names that begin with numbers. Numbered items, then, are all under the Index Section Heading: "1".

Changing the text style for all of the Index Section Heading items changes them all - except the "1"

So all section headings A-Z can be changed to have a different font size. But the "1" (that is also marked as "Index Section Heading") stays the same size. Example: "A-Z" are 5 points, "1" is 12 points.

See screenshots.

Screen Shot 2019-07-09 at 9.01.02 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-09 at 9.02.19 AM.png

• 1 month later...

This topic hasn't been acknowleged by the Serif staff yet, so perhaps they missed your initial post somehow.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

OK - seems there is still an omission in my opinion. But it is not what this issue started out to be. My error. So, the above information is bogus - my fault for not checking for "user error."

See the attach AFPUB file.

The index update now places the numbered Index Entries first in the index, and sorted by the numeric value. However, my mistake is that I had a hard-coded "1" as the first character in my document's Index. This became the Index Section Heading for numeric entries. Of course, it is not linked to the styles for indexes and is not part of the index update. The update just flows the indexing after that hard-coded "1"

So, the missing element IMHO is that the index update does not include an "Index Section Heading" value for numeric entries - it is null. This could be viewed as suitable (no heading for numbered items is necessary) or could be viewed as an omission (numbers should have some sort of heading shown).

I used a "1" in my index (hard-coded). I have also seen a "#" (meaning "number") as a heading for numbered entries in a technical manual. I checked a few "manuals of style" and most recommend a totally different way of sorting numbered entries in an index, i.e., sorting by the spelling of the sounded-out number (like placing "200th anniversary" under the "T" heading as though it were "Two hundredth anniversary" or under "F" for "1st" ("first").

To be really elegant, you might consider several standard options from which the user might choose. Although I cannot afford to purchase it and cannot see it, ISO 999 defines standards for indexing.

However, you can leave AFPUB unchanged for my needs. The hard-coded heading works well.

So I leave it to you to decide. Sorry about the confusion.

Index Test Font Size.afpub

• Staff

Yeah that's what I noticed, I glanced over it when first looking at it but a developer was intrigued how the numbers appeared in the index headings so I wanted to check if you'd hard coded it and that we hadn't missed anything :P

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

• 3 weeks later...