You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can’t reopen photos without resetting the app

This has been an infuriating issue since the last update. If I’m editing a photo and go back to the main screen it locks up and the spin wheel wont stop...even if left alone for hours. As I edit a batch nearly every photo has this problem until I reset the app, at which point I lose some progress on each photo. I have touted this app for professional use but this is two steps backward...I can’t even efficiently process ten photos from a friends wedding. Please fix or suggest a workaround. 2018 ipad pro 1tb wifi.

4698D7FF-8BCC-478E-B1B3-2F5F40F3462D.jpeg

Which version are you using? If the 1.7.1 rel, why not try the 1.7.2 beta. It seems to have fixed most bugs and might be worth a try.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• Staff

Hey swenpaylay,

The 1.7 update for iPad unfortunately had a few issues with performance, however the beta has many improvements and fixes. As DM1 said, it may be worth signing up to the beta so you can continue working.

Please see this post about signing up:

The reason I am suggesting you try the beta is because I am unsure as to when the release version of the app will be updated. The beta is still undergoing testing at the moment and we wouldn't want to release it to the App Store until we are confident it is stable enough. 

I noticed in the release version of the app, a document of about 8000 x 5000 pixels would have its performance impacted and the images in your screenshot aren't far from that resolution. 

7 hours ago, Chris B said:

Hey swenpaylay,

The 1.7 update for iPad unfortunately had a few issues with performance, however the beta has many improvements and fixes. As DM1 said, it may be worth signing up to the beta so you can continue working.

Please see this post about signing up:

The reason I am suggesting you try the beta is because I am unsure as to when the release version of the app will be updated. The beta is still undergoing testing at the moment and we wouldn't want to release it to the App Store until we are confident it is stable enough. 

I noticed in the release version of the app, a document of about 8000 x 5000 pixels would have its performance impacted and the images in your screenshot aren't far from that resolution. 

Fair enough. Sent a request. Id rather go back a version than forward to be honest. Not sure how the files load into the beta but disrupting the continuity of my photos by branching into the beta is not preferred. ....or is it not advised to keep hundreds of photos loaded in the app anyway? The files are too big to save outside the app so i just keep raws and finished jpegs on icloud and keep the rest in the app. 

Wondering also if there will ever be a way to batch import/export? It would be great to load in a full set and then export it all with the same compression. I dont need lightroom level batch processing but batch import/export would be stellar. 

The files you mentioned are from a 30mp EOS R. Ive processed a lot from a 5D4 as well and now my main camera is a Fuji XT3. These aren’t exactly 50 or 100mp cameras. I’d love to see how the new Fuji GFX 100 does if an XT3 lags out the app so much haha.

13 hours ago, swenpaylay said:

Wondering also if there will ever be a way to batch import/export? It would be great to load in a full set and then export it all with the same compression. I dont need lightroom level batch processing but batch import/export would be stellar. 

If I understand correctly I think you can do this now. Tap the + sign and select Batch. Navigate to your files and select the ones you want to process, tap Open, Select the output format(s), Size etc and destination folder. Tap ok. Done.

The beta installs a separate copy so your original folders will still be there.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• Staff

The beta suggestion was more of a suggestion for you to try it out and make sure your workflow is unaffected and has improved from the release. You can work in it should you find everything has improved, though.

I don't tend to keep hundreds of files o the Home screen but that doesn't mean you can't. I can't imagine it affects anything whilst you're actually editing an image either. 

8 hours ago, DM1 said:

If I understand correctly I think you can do this now. Tap the + sign and select Batch. Navigate to your files and select the ones you want to process, tap Open, Select the output format(s), Size etc and destination folder. Tap ok. Done.

The beta installs a separate copy so your original folders will still be there.

Cool! From what screen do I do this? I cant find it in develop persona or the main library screen. Sorry still a noob.

15 minutes ago, swenpaylay said:

Cool! From what screen do I do this? I cant find it in develop persona or the main library screen. Sorry still a noob.

If you’re talking about the ‘batch project’ tile in the main screen that seems like little more than a quick file converter. It doesnt pull anything into or out of the app, rather just converts file type and/or dimensions from one external folder to the other. Too limited to be useful for me unfortunately. I need to be able to pull a batch of raw photos into the app and then dump them all back out with the same compression settings. As of now this is a one by one process made all the more annoying by the fact that what you do see when importing is only a tiny low resolution square. But maybe I’m missing something. 

Again I don’t save the AP files at all outside the app as they are too huge to be manageable. They only exist within the app. RAW goes in and JPEG comes out. 

15 hours ago, swenpaylay said:

I need to be able to pull a batch of raw photos into the app and then dump them all back out with the same compression settings. 

Isn't that what the Batch option gives you? You can select multiple raw files, select an output format and adjust size and  compression then convert and export the converted files. True, you cannot individually adjust each exposure but that was not what you said you wanted to do?

If in fact you want to load multiple raw files in one step, just open the Home screen (and create and open a new Project folder (if you want to keep things tidy)), then swipe up from the bottom of the screen to reveal iOS springboard, drag the files icon (or Documents if you use that), onto the Home screen. Now navigate to your raw folder, tap and hold one raw file, then while holding on screen, tap all the other raw files you want to load, when finished drag the group over to the Affinity Home screen and release them. They will all be copied into the home screen (inside the project folder if you created one). Getting rid of them is not so easy. It’s one at a time delete. :)

8 hours ago, DM1 said:

Isn't that what the Batch option gives you? You can select multiple raw files, select an output format and adjust size and  compression then convert and export the converted files. True, you cannot individually adjust each exposure but that was not what you said you wanted to do?

If in fact you want to load multiple raw files in one step, just open the Home screen (and create and open a new Project folder (if you want to keep things tidy)), then swipe up from the bottom of the screen to reveal iOS springboard, drag the files icon (or Documents if you use that), onto the Home screen. Now navigate to your raw folder, tap and hold one raw file, then while holding on screen, tap all the other raw files you want to load, when finished drag the group over to the Affinity Home screen and release them. They will all be copied into the home screen (inside the project folder if you created one). Getting rid of them is not so easy. It’s one at a time delete. :)

Cool trick! I’ll have to try it, thanks! That is what I’m looking to do...copy them all into a project folder in the app for adjustments (which the batch option doesnt do). Got a trick up your sleeve for then exporting said batch all at once, given they only exist within the app after adjustments?

11 hours ago, swenpaylay said:

Got a trick up your sleeve for then exporting said batch all at once, given they only exist within the app after adjustments?

Unfortunately, no. The 'multiple' drag and drop does not operate correctly going the other direction. It appears restricted to one at a time.

14 hours ago, DM1 said:

Unfortunately, no. The 'multiple' drag and drop does not operate correctly going the other direction. It appears restricted to one at a time.

Well in any case thanks for the tip it’s a game changer for me. Especially since I also just realized we can copy/paste groups of adjustment layers now. If only those groups could just be put into presets than can incorporate 4-5 adjustment layers.