You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Frequent crashes adding index entries

I've imported a pdf and am trying to index it.  I select text and <ctrl><alt><shift>[ to create the index entry.  I select OK from the pop-up and Publisher crashes about 25% of the time.  There are no crash reports. 

<edit>

The PDF was created from a number of MS Word files (via Libre Office) and I now know there's a potential problem involving ligatures.  Switching off the standard ligatures seems to stop the crashes.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

Hi Jon!  I've attached the original PDF, created by merging a load of .doc & .docx files in Libre Office and then exporting as PDF.  I was selecting a song title and then creating the index entry with <ctrl><alt><shift>[ . Since I started playing with ligatures the frequency of crashes had dropped dramatically - I still get crashes but it's nearer 5% than 25%!  Something that causes a crash every time is trying to create an index entry for text that's already been indexed.

SongBook.pdf

• Staff

I'm struggling to reproduce a crash, even when adding a duplicate index entry like you describe.

Any chance of recording a short video demonstrating the crash so I can see if i'm missing anything?

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

1 hour ago, Jon P said:

I'm struggling to reproduce a crash, even when adding a duplicate index entry like you describe.

Any chance of recording a short video demonstrating the crash so I can see if i'm missing anything?

Thanks

I don't have any screen recording software installed, but I'll have a play and get back to you.

2 hours ago, Jon P said:

I've just realised there's a twist to this!  After creating the first index entry, if I use <ctrl><alt><shift>[  and then click on OK, nothing happens until I click OK again, and then it works.  If I use <enter> instead of clicking on OK it crashes!  I'll see if I can produce a video.

• Staff

Thanks, we were doing the same so not sure yet why I can't see this crash. Can you upload your version of the Napa Heavy SF Bold font that is installed? I sourced a version of this font to test with but it doesn't seem to line up with what is used in the PDF.

• Staff

Can you also navigate to %Appdata%\Affinity\Publisher\1.0\CrashReports\reports and upload the latest crash reports in this folder? I've installed that font but still can't get the crash on my end so there might be some info in them.

Thanks!

• Staff

Do you get crashes in a new document or just this one? That crash reports contains a stack trace relating to Stylus input, do you use a stylus and have drivers for one installed?

2 hours ago, Jon P said:

Do you get crashes in a new document or just this one?

I can create a new doc in Apub, add 1 line of text and duplicate the crash.

2 hours ago, Jon P said:

That crash reports contains a stack trace relating to Stylus input, do you use a stylus and have drivers for one installed?

I've got a Huion 1060 Plus - I'll have a play with the drivers.

<edit>

Uninstalling and deleting the Huion drivers has stopped the crashes - thank you!!  Now to find a suitable driver!

• Staff

We've had some reports of Huion drivers causing issues before, just to confirm you weren't actually using the Huion 1060 Plus, the drivers were simply installed and active?

Glad it's resolved anyway, and this might answer another couple of crashes I've seen here and been unable to reproduce which relate to interacting with other parts of the UI.

2 hours ago, Jon P said:

just to confirm you weren't actually using the Huion 1060 Plus, the drivers were simply installed and active

I wasn't using the tablet, but it's not just the driver!  The crash will happen if either the driver's installed or the tablet's connected.  I.e. I can uninstall and delete the driver but the crash will still happen if the tablet's connected, and I can install the driver but leave the tablet unplugged and the crash will happen!  With the driver uninstalled and the tablet disconnected - no crash.

• Staff

Thanks for the additional info, I'll have a look at reproducing this and seeing what we can do (although as mentioned, we've had some issues with Huion drivers before), but for now atleast you know how to avoid the crashes