I recently noticed that the folder where my Affinity Publisher file is stored there are now thousands of .tif files (1-2kb). This is a 28 page booklet several graphics but not that many. Do I need these are can they be deleted?

Have you tried opening the TIF files to see if they contain anything you can recognize?

Try zipping them all up and then deleting them. Open up your document again and see if anything is going horribly wrong (I bet that is not the case) If something is wrong you can back out of your document without saving and restore the TIF files

This is something you can try until a better answer comes along

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 & beta 1.8.0.526   Affinity Photo 1.7.3 beta  1.8.0.526 Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 beta  1.8.0.523

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1709

CPU Intel Core i7 4770 @ 3.40GHz Haswell 22nm Technology

RAM 32.0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798 MHz (11-11-11-28)

Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. B85M-D3H (SOCKET 0)

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4600 (Gigabyte)

yoda.png

What are some of the file names?

Also, what OS are you on, Mac or Windows?

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.526 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.526 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.531 Beta

the tif and jpg files that are created all are named the same name of the document with a increasing digit. (i.e. brochure 01.tif, brochure 02.tif, brochure 03.tif....)

They are just fragments of the embedded graphics, The file was an indesign files exported as a PDF then opened in Publisher

Is there any possibility that you did something like this:

1. File > Open to open the PDF in Publisher.
  2. Document > Resource Manager, then
  3. Select all the files, then
  4. Click Make Linked.

If you did that, you would get exactly what you're seeing. As part of step 4 Publisher would save copies of all the images in the PDF, to the directory you specified.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.526 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.526 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.531 Beta

I’m not sure how this happened but as you can see from the image the file sizes are mostly small - 1-2KB. There are over 3000 tif files and 900 jpg. There are only about 30 actual graphics - all either psd or jpg. If I open any of the small files it appears they are only snippets of the graphics. Because they have been renamed by publisher I don’t know which original file they came from. 
Oh, the Resource Manager show them all embedded

Images often get sliced in various ways when a PDF file for printing is created. I believe one reason is when layers and transparencies are "flattened" for better compatibility with older printing machines. So it looks these tifs are just the slices that were in the PDF.

If you have the original complete images, you may be able to delete all the snippety bits in Publisher and paste the original images in their place - but that may turn into a ton of work, as I don't think there's a tool that can automate this. 

If you have access to the indesign source file, maybe it could be possible to write a PDF that does not break images apart? maybe if you choose PDF/X4, keeping "native" layers and transparencies???

2 hours ago, wgwild said:

Oh, the Resource Manager show them all embedded

Hm, then maybe these files were from an earlier iteration / import of your project?  If you do what @Rick G suggested and zip them all up instead of deleting outright, you'll see if you can continue working without them.