You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I recently noticed that the folder where my Affinity Publisher file is stored there are now thousands of .tif files (1-2kb). This is a 28 page booklet several graphics but not that many. Do I need these are can they be deleted?

Have you tried opening the TIF files to see if they contain anything you can recognize?

Try zipping them all up and then deleting them. Open up your document again and see if anything is going horribly wrong (I bet that is not the case) If something is wrong you can back out of your document without saving and restore the TIF files

This is something you can try until a better answer comes along

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

What are some of the file names?

Also, what OS are you on, Mac or Windows?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Is there any possibility that you did something like this:

1. File > Open to open the PDF in Publisher.
  2. Document > Resource Manager, then
  3. Select all the files, then
  4. Click Make Linked.

If you did that, you would get exactly what you're seeing. As part of step 4 Publisher would save copies of all the images in the PDF, to the directory you specified.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I’m not sure how this happened but as you can see from the image the file sizes are mostly small - 1-2KB. There are over 3000 tif files and 900 jpg. There are only about 30 actual graphics - all either psd or jpg. If I open any of the small files it appears they are only snippets of the graphics. Because they have been renamed by publisher I don’t know which original file they came from. 
Oh, the Resource Manager show them all embedded

Images often get sliced in various ways when a PDF file for printing is created. I believe one reason is when layers and transparencies are "flattened" for better compatibility with older printing machines. So it looks these tifs are just the slices that were in the PDF.

If you have the original complete images, you may be able to delete all the snippety bits in Publisher and paste the original images in their place - but that may turn into a ton of work, as I don't think there's a tool that can automate this. 

If you have access to the indesign source file, maybe it could be possible to write a PDF that does not break images apart? maybe if you choose PDF/X4, keeping "native" layers and transparencies???

2 hours ago, wgwild said:

Oh, the Resource Manager show them all embedded

Hm, then maybe these files were from an earlier iteration / import of your project?  If you do what @Rick G suggested and zip them all up instead of deleting outright, you'll see if you can continue working without them.