You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Superscripts not working correctly?

ISSUE: Superscripts do not seem to be working correctly in the latest release of Affinity Photo on macOS. 

I initially figured it must be dependent upon the font choice and glyph support for that font. But even with common fonts such as Arial and Times New Roman, the superscript function isn't working properly or at all (I sorta noticed this since v1.7 but thought the problem was my fault).

TEMPORARY SOLUTION: Using the character positioning tools achieves the desired result, but this approach takes a lot longer to get there. The developers should address this basic function sooner than later. :( 

I have attached an AFPHOTO file without any superscripts to use as a base for testing. But the problem exists in Photo AND in Designer on macOS — the release AND the beta versions. Curiously the iPad release and betas seem just fine.

Superscripts.afphoto

41 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

The developers should address this basic function sooner than later. :(

There is nothing for the developers to address. The current behaviour is by design.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Hey Ulysses,

I actually think this is working as intended. Allow me to explain!

We now have two ways to apply superscripts and subscripts. Before the release of 1.7, we used to 'fake it'. To 'fake it', go to the Character Panel, you can use either the Super/Subscript dropdown on the Panel. (The bit that looks like an S:)

However, if you expand the Typography section, there is a separate Superscript button and a separate Subscript button which are used for true super/subscript. 

Superscripts.jpg

9 minutes ago, Chris B said:

I actually think this is working as intended. Allow me to explain!

We now have two ways to apply superscripts and subscripts. Before the release of 1.7, we used to 'fake it'. To 'fake it', go to the Character Panel, you can use either the Super/Subscript dropdown on the Panel. (The bit that looks like an S:)

However, if you expand the Typography section, there is a separate Superscript button and a separate Subscript button which are used for true super/subscript. 

Ahhhhh, thank you, @Chris B. This is so helpful! (and much quicker).  

Question: Why does the Typography panel's superscript and subscript button work properly on the iPad as opposed to the desktop version for macOS? Does the iPad version always "fake" the computation? O.o