You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Expand stroke makes circles oblong

This is a long-time known issues that, hopefully, will be addressed in the following months.

Best regards!

55 minutes ago, lukepighetti said:

Is this officially in the backlog or are you just hoping it will get fixed?

We only have access to what the Dev Team members say, and they are weel aware of this and will work on it. What I am hoping is that it will be addressed in the dollowing months, since we don't know:

• Technically, how complex to fix this is.
  • Exact to-do list of Matt Priestley, the person that will focus on this.

Best regards!

I hope you are right about it getting fixed in the coming months, although I just had a search on here and found it's been on the to-do list for just over four years now. I knew it was an existing issue, but didn't realise it's been around for that long.

A fix on this or an "offset path" tool would certainly be something that I'd like to see.

To me it seems (without attempting to reverse-engineer the software) that Designer internally converts the vector outlines to a bitmap and attempts to trace it, since the results seems to be exactly the same as vector tracing small-resolution bitmap images in Inkscape...

I still don't get why Designer doesn't (internally) enlarge such smaller objects 10 or 100 times, do the conversion, and then resize them back. I guess it'd be better than directing users to do this routine by themselves... At least as a temporary pseudo-fix until Affinity devs find out how to do the expansion properly... since even in high-resolutions, the outline expansion is nearly never exactly the same as the original outline.

I suspect it’s just down to rounding errors in the maths, being that the smaller you go the more pronounced this becomes. I’d be very surprised if it was rasterising this and then tracing it. But I could be wrong.

Rounding issues shouldn't matter since Serif touts being able to work on infinitesimal details as a core feature. So asking it to expand a curve with a 6px diameter the same way it expands a 600px curve seems reasonable and the fact that it's been in the backlog for 4 years is yet another red flag against Serif. When I made this post I didn't realize it had been in the backlog for so long.

Why are you using a small ellipse filled with a stroke both the same colour, when a filled ellipse without a stroke would work better and not have the "pet rocks" issue (love that phrase lol!),  it doesn't make much sense to me.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

43 minutes ago, lukepighetti said:

Quick way to resize the ellipses in place when doing a design alternative. 

make one ellipse a symbol, duplicate the symbol and edit just one symbol to see all change

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions