You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Having a white edge while using the fill tool

Hi,

I have been using my own shapes that I have drawn on paper,  using a fine point sharpie.  These I have had to scan to my laptop.  Then I have given the lines around the edge a different colour and the inside another coloured background that I have 'placed' behind my shape.  Works well, but when I zoom in for a closer look,  there is  a white line all the way around my shape, going between the inner and outer edge. Can anyone please explain why this is happening,  and also how I can stop it? 

Many thanks, 

Debbie 

• Staff
1 minute ago, Jumblemania said:

If it'll help me by using designer,  then maybe I should try in there?

By all means you can try it, but i suspect the issue will be there. Once you can attach a file, i'll be able to have a look and see what's causing it :) 

Hello @Jumblemania ,
I think you have with the eraser tool, the outer edges of the black object edited. Thereby pixels of the Yellowy brown layers have been deleted.
See attached file.

Cheers

Yello Layer.PNG

Fish top fin3.afphoto

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3447)

Gnobelix, you are right, I did use the eraser first to delete another edge.  Do you recommend another way for me to do this, as the white line is not the effect that I am looking for. I am very new to this and obviously didn't realise that I'd be deleting pixels as well, or that this effect would be the consequence of that.  I'd be grateful for any tips.

Hello @Jumblemania ,

if I get it right are the white lines meant as a limit.
Try the following
Draw your outline
create a new empty layer
draw your limit
create a new empty layer for the coloring
after coloration, the limit layer deactivate

see example.

Cheers

Fish with black outline4.afphoto

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3447)

Are you using the fill tool to flood fill your drawn shape? If so, you may be experiencing a common problem when using such a tool (and this applies to all packages I’ve ever used). The problem is in the way shapes are represented in the computer. Rather than being a single colour, lines are made up of lots of colours (or to be more precise, different intensities of the same colour, and the reason for this is to make the line look smooth - known as anti-aliasing - zoom right in to see these variations on the pixels, normally ranging from solid to transparent, but it depends on the context). So when you choose to fill a shape the fill works it’s way out until it finds a pixel of a different colour to that you clicked on. Now, if you imagine your outline being surrounded by more subtle pixels to make it look smooth, what happens is as soon as the fill detects the very first of these subtle colours the fill algorithm thinks it’s at the outline and stops there leaving what looks like a gap between the subtle colours and the main part of the outline. I can’t remember if in Photo there is a tolerance setting on the fill (I’m sure there must be, probably in the context bar), but you can normally overcome this issue by making the tolerance a higher value. This tells the fill algorithm to accept more difference in colour before registering as the edge, and closes that gap. Might be worth upping the tolerance if that is your issue. It’s not always possible to get a perfect result, as if you up the tolerance too much it fails to detect your outline properly and fills the outside area. It all depends on the consistency of the outline and whether it has any weak spots.