You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

With thanks to everybody who helped on the forum with how to out dent Dropped Caps, here is my latest layout in Affinity Publisher. I used the Manual Optical Alignment facility to achieve the out-dent effect. On the downside this affects the ability of the alignment function to centre the text frame automatically so it has to be adjusted by eye only.

I Am a Good Boy I Am (FILEminimizer).png

I Am a Good Boy I Am.pdf

For something like this I would have probably put the ornate capital in an Artistic Text layer by itself.
That way I could let Publisher align the main body of text and I would only need to manually align the initial letter by eye, rather than making various adjustments to the Paragraph settings.
The spell-checker may not like the first word – in this particular case it might be okay – but I think it could be easier overall.

Aside: You might like to know about the Oulipo who try some crazy things with poetry and other writing techniques. This podcast episode gives an entertaining introduction: https://www.theallusionist.org/trammels (The podcast as a whole is good-listening for anyone interested in the English language.)

18 minutes ago, GarryP said:

For something like this I would have probably put the ornate capital in an Artistic Text layer by itself.
That way I could let Publisher align the main body of text and I would only need to manually align the initial letter by eye, rather than making various adjustments to the Paragraph settings.
The spell-checker may not like the first word – in this particular case it might be okay – but I think it could be easier overall.

Aside: You might like to know about the Oulipo who try some crazy things with poetry and other writing techniques. This podcast episode gives an entertaining introduction: https://www.theallusionist.org/trammels (The podcast as a whole is good-listening for anyone interested in the English language.)

I toyed with that idea too but it felt like a half measure when dealing with the textual integrity of the piece. However, that method would have allowed me to group the items together and use the alignment of the group for automatic centring. All methods fall short of an ideal solution and perhaps adding a Drop Cap in margin function would be a useful suggestion for a feature enhancement in a future release.

Thank you for the link.

Yeah, I don’t think there’s an ideal method at the moment for putting some of the text outside the main body of text.
Personally I would like to be able to create ‘flyout numbering’ (or whatever it’s properly called) as in my attached example.
I’ve tried a few different methods but none are particularly nice:
* Split number from text – messy and the numbers don’t flow with the text;
* Paragraph spacing – difficult to get right and the number isn’t vertically aligned properly;
* Multiple two-column text frames – awkward and lots of manual work;
* Drop-cap – number has to be multiples of the line height and other problems;
* Numbering – text frame can’t be nicely positioned and other issues.
I’ll create a thread specific to the issue I have and we can see what happens.

flyout-numbering-example.png

2 hours ago, GarryP said:

Yeah, I don’t think there’s an ideal method at the moment for putting some of the text outside the main body of text.
Personally I would like to be able to create ‘flyout numbering’ (or whatever it’s properly called) as in my attached example.
I’ve tried a few different methods but none are particularly nice:
* Split number from text – messy and the numbers don’t flow with the text;
* Paragraph spacing – difficult to get right and the number isn’t vertically aligned properly;
* Multiple two-column text frames – awkward and lots of manual work;
* Drop-cap – number has to be multiples of the line height and other problems;
* Numbering – text frame can’t be nicely positioned and other issues.
I’ll create a thread specific to the issue I have and we can see what happens.

flyout-numbering-example.png

Kind of odd as the Affinity Publisher 1.7 advertisement video does use a technique to achieve something similar to an out-dented initial capital.

19 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I’ve just watched the video at the top of https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/publisher/ (twice) and didn’t spot anything like this.
Which video did you watch and when – in the duration of the video – is it shown?

BTW: The question I raised (as mentioned above) can be found here:

I think it was the advertising one with the annoying "You're gonna love me". Only for a short glimpse. My mistake it was an ordinary drop cap resize.