You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher Image Size Warning

I love the ability to resize an image in Publisher, but I see no way of making sure I do not zoom in too far and reduce the quality of the image. Ideally a warning image is below ideal print quality level. 

Any ideas on how to keep image quality good greatly appreciated 

Mike 

Up in the top context bar there is a readout for an image that states it's size, effective DPI and percentage scale. As you scale a picture this will adapt to show you the new DPI and scale compared to it's original size. Obviously if the DPI of the image is less than your intended print DPI then you've pushed it too far!

13 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

if the DPI of the image is less than your intended print DPI

These are not necessarily directly dependent as print DPI can go from 300 to 2400 dpi. Usually 300 dpi in images is good for most press purposes. 

Yeah, I agree, and in many cases you can actually push images way beyond their 100% resolution, but it would depend on the nature of the final output. I used to work for a company that did large format printing and we'd quite often downsample images to much lower resolutions than 300dpi to make the file sizes more manageable (back in the mid 90s when 1Gb was extremely difficult to deal with and would literally take many hours to transfer over a network!). But yeah 300dpi is a good guideline for most outputs. You could probably go with much less for a billboard. I do like the way that readout works though, gives you exactly the information you need to know.