You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Non-Breaking Hyphen to PDF non-printing

When you use a non-breaking hyphen between words, and then export to PDF, Adobe Acrobat sees that as a non-printing square. See screen shot.

The solution is to use a "standard" hyphen - I found I had to open the Mac TextEdit application and just type a hyphen and transfer that into the AFPUB document. Then it comes out in the PDF as a hyphen. I think that the AFPUB "Soft Hyphen" is also broken in that regard.

Screen Shot 2019-07-08 at 4.35.44 PM.png

Finally, I think, the original document in beta had all keyboard-typed hyphens. Nothing fancy. However, it seems that the latest document has changed all of those standard hyphens into non-printing characters when exported as a PDF into Acrobat. I will try a Find and Replace on all to see if that corrects them (it seems to do so when I manually type in the hyphen again).

I believe that I can safely say the non-printing character was a glitch that has been fixed between the beta and the final. But I did have to manually re-enter the keyboard hyphens in order to get rid of the non-printing character in the exported PDF. I'm guessing it was a database conversion issue in beta.

• 3 weeks later...

This post may be relevant to the problem you’ve encountered:

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)