You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AD] Selecting a node that is under another node

I know this question has came up before but I'm not finding it with a search.

In a design such as this there is only one path, but 3 of the nodes are in the exact same location.  How can I grab one of the lower nodes in the stack?  When I try I always get the same node.  The only way I find to do this is to unstack the nodes moving the top one to the side, then move the second...  But when I move the bottom one the original location of the rest is lost.  I was thinking someone had come up with a way to cycle through the nodes in that position to reach the lower nodes but using a modifier key or something else.  Can anyone share a method they have found to do this?  I appreciate any help provided.

671669804_ScreenShot2019-07-08at4_18_23PM.png.052c1a227b74ac13923529686077ba13.png

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

So these shapes are three separate shapes? In which case turn the other shapes off in the layers panel.
Screen-Shot-2019-07-09-at-07-49-55.png

Screen-Shot-2019-07-09-at-08-00-45.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

No it is only one path.

2135158355_ScreenShot2019-07-09at5_48_08AM.png.26eb829eb3c1c02543d1d88824d26e84.png

This is just an example.  My actual drawing is much more complicated.  But I have the problem of more than 1 node in the same place on a single path.  And I run into this every so often.  Where I am needing to move the bottom node preferably without moving the top node.  Sometimes it's my design and other times it's caused by doing an Add of 2 or more shapes.

Don't know if there's a way to select the node beneath, but you could do shift+arrow to nudge the top node a set distance, then nudge it back once you've moved the one you want:

1. select top node
  2. shift+right arrow to move it
  3. select next node and move wherever you want
  4. select original top node again
  5. shift+left arrow to put it back where it was

How far it moves depends what you have set in preferences > tools > modifier nudge distance, but it should be enough to work from the defaults

MacBook Pro M1 Max, macOS 12.6.1 Monterey
Affinity Designer : 2.0  Affinity Photo: 2.0,   Affinity Publisher: 2.0

Thanks iaing, that's pretty much what I have been doing.  One node I put one direction, the next one another, etc.  Or I just make a copy of the object so that that location still exists, I can just drag nodes on the original until I find the correct one then drag the others back to where it belongs via snapping to the copy and finally delete the copy.  No good way, but I was hoping someone had found a way.

On 7/8/2019 at 7:38 PM, Gear maker said:

In a design such as this there is only one path, but 3 of the nodes are in the exact same location.  How can I grab one of the lower nodes in the stack? 

Single click on the top node of the group.
Now Shift + Control drag select the group. This will leave you with just the middle and bottom. (if there were more than three points it would give you everything below the top)
Now Shift click on those two to get just the bottom OR Command click on thom to get just the middle.

cheers

1 hour ago, JimmyJack said:

Now Shift + Control drag select the group.

This is suboptimal for Windows users until such time as we’re provided with a less clumsy alternative to RMB+LMB where Mac users press Ctrl (). :(

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

This is suboptimal for Windows users until such time as we’re provided with a less clumsy alternative to RMB+LMB where Mac users press Ctrl (). :(

Actually Mac users press Command () Control looks like (^)

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

2 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Actually Mac users press Command () Control looks like (^)

Oops! Thanks for that. In which case, I (fortuitously) got the symbol right but @JimmyJack got the keypress wrong.

Command (⌘) is OK, because that’s Ctrl on Windows. The awkward one is the Windows counterpart to the Mac Control (^) key.

Alfred spacer.png

4 hours ago, Alfred said:

but @JimmyJack got the keypress wrong.

Command (⌘) is OK, because that’s Ctrl on Windows. The awkward one is the Windows counterpart to the Mac Control (^) key.

Hmmm, don't think so. Working just as I described ..... on Mac.

Don't know how it converts to PC land. :D

6 hours ago, JimmyJack said:

11 hours ago, Alfred said:

but @JimmyJack got the keypress wrong.

Hmmm, don't think so. Working just as I described ..... on Mac.

Don't know how it converts to PC land. :D

Selective quoting! @Old Bruce had asserted that

Actually Mac users press Command (Control looks like (^)

so I responded

In which case, I (fortuitously) got the symbol right but @JimmyJack got the keypress wrong.

i.e. if — and only if — Mac users press Command () for this, then that’s OK for Windows users because we simply press Ctrl instead. The current Windows counterpart to Control () is a combination of the left and right mouse buttons, which means that dragging while holding down Shift+Control translates to dragging while holding down Shift+RMB+LMB. Ouch!

Alfred spacer.png