You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Modifying Overflow Text in Linked Text Box Crashes Publisher

I'm moving a zine I wrote from Apple Pages to Publisher. I've been copying/pasting the text from Pages into linked text boxes in Publisher using Paste Without Format. I was having no trouble doing this until I got a series of really long linked text boxes (about ten 8.5 x 5.5 inch pages worth). I pasted them in fine but I noticed I needed one more text box on an additional page. When I added it and tried linking it to the last one in the chain, Publisher crashed.

So, I tried a few other things. I tried deleting the overflowing text, Publisher crashed. I tried copy/pasting the overflowing text, Publisher crashed. I was able to unlink the last text box in the chain but when I tried to cut/paste a little of the text, Publisher crashed again. I've attached a text file containing the crash logs from macOS.

Publisher Crash.rtf

As a workaround to perhaps help get you going, if you have overflowing text at the end, perhaps let Publisher create the new frame and link them automatically. Just shift+click on the red triangle icon, and Publisher should handle the overflow for you.

First, though, you might save a copy of your .afpub file just before you do the action that makes Publisher crash, so it will be available if the Serif team needs it :)

It shouldn't have crashed, of course, but perhaps the workaround will get you going while waiting for Serif to figure out the problem.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

That's actually what I originally did but caused the initial crash. I linked a series of frames on 10 pages just as you described and then copy/pasted all the content from those 10 pages into Publisher which caused the original crash. I tried the other attempts as a workaround.

To follow up, I asked a friend of mine to try the same thing on Windows and it crashed there as well. It is possible that there is some content in there that it doesn't like that got pulled from Pages. I'm going to try blowing away all the content, copy/paste into a text editor first, and then try putting it back into Publisher to see if it crashes again.

Edited by John Potts

• 2 weeks later...