You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Re-size document bug -- serious!

Mark, we deserve response about the mac version, such major fundamental flaws in resize needs to be addressed, we have been patient, but affinity can’t continue ignoring our concerns,    This has created too much frustration, and if it is not addressed Affinity will not be adopted by its largest market section potential.

The bug is not the main problem. So many people have complained that the resize interface is very bad, for such a long time and there is no feedback from Affinity. The interface is so bad that users who need to resize use other apps - this is the major issue. Has Affinity not read our posts - thousands of users have!

Please try to get them to address the issue.

thanks

44 minutes ago, davemike said:

The bug is not the main problem. So many people have complained that the resize interface is very bad, for such a long time and there is no feedback from Affinity. The interface is so bad that users who need to resize use other apps - this is the major issue. Has Affinity not read our posts - thousands of users have!

Please try to get them to address the issue.

thanks

I don't know why you keep mentioning that there is no feedback - you've already read and acknowledged my post on the previous page where I say:

I've just added a fix and some improvements to the Resize Document dialog....

2 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi Nazario,
Not sure what you mean. It was always a bug. I've reported/logged this myself quite some time ago. I'm glad Mark is addressing/fixing it.

We've been told numerous times it was 'by design' which is why there are so many threads on this and so many people confused and frustrated. I was reading a thread earlier today regarding the bug that was started back in 2015! I noted the issue when Affinity Photo was still in beta prior to the retail launch but because of the ill thought out interface it was difficult to tell if it was me not understanding Serifs thinking regarding resizing or it was in-fact a bug. Early on I was genuinely thinking it was a new way to resize a document but because I didn't understand it and our RIP keeps rejecting the files I've not been able to use Photo since i bought it when it first became available. Thats where my frustration lies.

I am however absolutely delighted its now finally been flagged as a bug and is getting some attention. 

50 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

I don't know why you keep mentioning that there is no feedback - you've already read and acknowledged my post on the previous page where I say:

I think what Dave is trying to say is that we have been flagging both the bug and the interface problem for a very long time in numerous threads, some being very comprehensive on the subject and not had anyone from Serif respond. I personally private messaged MEB on June 6th to read the thread that was growing very quickly on the subject and received no response. I also private messaged Andy a similar message with no response.

Nobody from Affinity has ever related specifically to the resize INTERFACE problem, being such a major issue, (not just a fix) - we would expect that Affinity would have read in great detail and concern, and related to so many important posts in each different forum categories, none of which have been seriously contributed to by Affinity. We are waiting to hear that Affinity understood the issue by relating to it specifically in any detail. We are worried that you may fix the technical bug but not improve the interface to make it at all useable for graphic designers and publishers, I feel that Affinity is either still completely unaware of this huge issue, or just not willing to discuss it. If Affinity was to search and read all posts on the resize document unusability - they would have redesigned the resize interface long ago.

Edited by davemike
corrected grammar mistake

18 minutes ago, davemike said:

Edited 5 minutes ago by davemike 
corrected grammar mistake

tip.gif If you edit your post without adding a note about it, only the moderators need ever know! ;)

By the way, Affinity is the name of the software suite, not the name of the company. Saying “Nobody from Affinity” instead of “Nobody from Serif” is like saying “Nobody from Illustrator” rather than “Nobody from Adobe”.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 minutes ago, davemike said:

We are trying to invoke a serious discussion with the Affinity Photo TEAM, not with the Serif company, yet.

Are you saying that the bug only affects Affinity Photo, not the entire suite? (As you’ll have gathered, I haven’t investigated.)

Alfred spacer.png

3 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Are you saying that the bug only affects Affinity Photo, not the entire suite? (As you’ll have gathered, I haven’t investigated.)

Resize Document is only in Photo.

35 minutes ago, davemike said:

Nobody from Affinity has ever related specifically to the resize INTERFACE problem

Again, my quote from previous page:

I've just added a fix and some improvements to the Resize Document dialog

Please try out the changes when they're available, then let me know if you think things could be improved further.

Alfred, You have not followed the threads, please read the complete thread about the Affinity Photo resize issue, you will understand that the shortcomings of "resize document' effects all professional graphic designers who use the Affinity suite because we need to resize efficiently in 'Photo'  in order to make the picture our required size cm, inch, etc. in Affinity Publisher and Designer.

• Staff
12 minutes ago, davemike said:

Please read the complete thread about the Affinity Photo resize issue, you will understand that the shortcomings of "resize document' effects all professional graphic designers and who use the Affinity suite because we need to resize efficiently in 'Photo'  in order to make the picture our required size cm, inch, etc. in Affinity Publisher and Designer.

I don't think for a second Mark would have made changes without thoroughly reading and understanding the thread. As he has said, please wait and see what changes have been made when they become available. 

Once the changes are available, give them a thorough going over and let us know if you still are not satisfied or what could still be improved. I would suggest making a new thread about the specific changes in the beta forum otherwise this thread is going to get out of hand.

• Staff
17 minutes ago, davemike said:

Hi Mark, look forward to seeing the improvements, but on Mac. can you tell me if I am correct in assuming that all those concerned in the Affinity team have undertaken to improve the interface problem, also in Mac?  

Hi davemike,
Yes, whatever changes Mark implements for Windows, they will be also added to the Mac.

• Staff
1 hour ago, Nazario said:

We've been told numerous times it was 'by design' which is why there are so many threads on this and so many people confused and frustrated. I was reading a thread earlier today regarding the bug that was started back in 2015! I noted the issue when Affinity Photo was still in beta prior to the retail launch but because of the ill thought out interface it was difficult to tell if it was me not understanding Serifs thinking regarding resizing or it was in-fact a bug. Early on I was genuinely thinking it was a new way to resize a document but because I didn't understand it and our RIP keeps rejecting the files I've not been able to use Photo since i bought it when it first became available. Thats where my frustration lies.

I am however absolutely delighted its now finally been flagged as a bug and is getting some attention. 

I think what Dave is trying to say is that we have been flagging both the bug and the interface problem for a very long time in numerous threads, some being very comprehensive on the subject and not had anyone from Serif respond. I personally private messaged MEB on June 6th to read the thread that was growing very quickly on the subject and received no response. I also private messaged Andy a similar message with no response.

Hi Nazario,
I understand your frustration and I'm sorry for this not being addressed sooner. You did PMed me but somehow I missed to address/reply your and a few other user's PM's - I've been working quite irregularly these latest couple months and still have quite a few things to catch up - in particular regarding PM's. I did however knew the resize bug was logged. My apologies for delays. Hopefully with it fixed and Mark's improvements we can close/fix these issues for once.

51 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi Nazario,
I understand your frustration and I'm sorry for this not being addressed sooner. You did PMed me but somehow I missed to address/reply your and a few other user's PM's - I've been working quite irregularly these latest couple months and still have quite a few things to catch up - in particular regarding PM's. I did however knew the resize bug was logged. My apologies for delays. Hopefully with it fixed and Mark's improvements we can close/fix these issues for once.

Thats fine mate. Obviously i know you're all busy and so didn't follow them up. 

Im looking forward to seeing the improvements and actually finally using your products.

2 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Resize Document is only in Photo.

I suspect we’re slightly at cross-purposes, Mark! What I had in mind was the ‘Document Setup...’ option on the File menu in Designer.

Alfred spacer.png

23 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I suspect we’re slightly at cross-purposes, Mark! What I had in mind was the ‘Document Setup...’ option on the File menu in Designer.

That’s another very slight issue whereby I think ‘image resize’ would be more in keeping with what Affinity Photo does and ‘Documents’ should be left for Designer and Publisher. Semantics really but I think it can also help a little with regards to clarity within the suite. 

31 minutes ago, davemike said:

I responded by submitting a new thread in the Affinity photo beta forum (as suggested by Mark) please continue this topic from there.

Thanks for the link! 9_9

Alfred spacer.png

Finally... 

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.