You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Welcome to the forum Riff

What do you mean by set it up properly? Do you mean with regards to printing or making it Print ready?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Thank you firstdefence!

Yes, but also which software is the most suited for setting up cover, poster etc.  

I'm a musician and a self-taught Gimp user, but converting to CMYK is just too much of a hassle in Gimp.

(sorry English is not my native language )

Musician, a talent I'd love to have...

It's pretty easy to convert to CMYK or create a document with the CMYK colour format in Photo, there's also a Soft Proof Filter to check out different colour profiles.

To change the colour format: Document > Convert Format/ICC Profile...

Affinity Designer is great for vector graphics (Scalable graphics) and the vector style can be a great look, but I think you can do most everything you want from Affinity Photo.

Would be nice to see the cover, just curious :)

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• 11 months later...

Hi,

I'm reactivating this topic to ask a question about opening pdf templates provided by pressing plants. I've also done all my stuff in Photo and i'll need to place the artwork elements on the template in picture 1.

When I open it in Photo, I only have the vinyl cover area with white bkgd  but not the rest of the pdf. In photoshop it was easy to choose media box, crop box etc. I dont see these options here and i get this cropped thing.

What am I doing wrong?

Thankx for your help!

best,

Daniel

1-pdf-in-Mac-Preview.png

2-Photo-import-dialog.png

3-pdf-in-Photo.png

Try selecting the Move Tool 

1291462776_ScreenShot2020-07-04at10_00_37AM.png.5cc2ce052c2ad63e197581a02a5d2860.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

This one imports with full details.
GD30OB.pdf

901437850_ScreenShot2020-07-04at19_02_47.png.fa42aa90f64bcf0d699d1b24a17e0112.png

Sounds right: http://www.gzvinyl.com/Support/Templates.aspx second template down on the left second choice on the dropdown.

Hello, thanks for your replies!

Unfortunately I need to use the ones from this 100vinyl.com firm as the others only start at 250 copies which is too much...

https://www.100vinyl.com/gabarits  ->12" (30cm)

https://www.100vinyl.com/cache/documents/content/1230cm-16.zip

I could open the file in photoshop, so there is definitely something happening with affinity photo here (I also tried with designer and publisher even though they're less made for what I want to do).

Well in worse case scenario i'll export my afphoto artwork as .psd and copy the layers on the correctly opened pdf template in photoshop CS that i have on my office computer. And hope everything is compatible

image.thumb.png.c3c7ca8d1f25e855d66f32b124525d07.png.

On 7/4/2020 at 7:02 PM, Old Bruce said:

Try selecting the Move Tool 

1291462776_ScreenShot2020-07-04at10_00_37AM.png.5cc2ce052c2ad63e197581a02a5d2860.png

15 hours ago, D___ said:

thanks, i only get this if I select the move tool :(

4-MoveTool.png

@Old Bruce or could it be a display of contextual tool menu that is not activated in studio that hides the selection tool options you have?

In Affinity Photo’s Menubar go to; Document > Unclip Canvas, and it should display the whole document correctly for you. Why it opens "Clipped" I have no idea!

I am curious about Old Bruce's screenshot too?
Just opening the file from the ZIP link D_ provided in AP, and with Move tool selected, I get no 'Page Box' or 'Artboard' entry’s in the Context Menu, nor would I expect to with this PDF as is.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

On 7/6/2020 at 1:04 PM, markw said:

In Affinity Photo’s Menubar go to; Document > Unclip Canvas, and it should display the whole document correctly for you. Why it opens "Clipped" I have no idea!

I am curious about Old Bruce's screenshot too?
Just opening the file from the ZIP link D_ provided in AP, and with Move tool selected, I get no 'Page Box' or 'Artboard' entry’s in the Context Menu, nor would I expect to with this PDF as is.

Good evening,

me again,

I there a way to do the same in Designer? I need to lay curved text on the record labels for the copyrights sentences.

- Photo: ok to detach canvas etc but no way to write in circles. Still possible to do the thing at the right size in designer and copy the layer but there won't be vectorization of the font at export -> pixellized writing that is already small...

- Designer: same clipped thing but no document menu/detach canvas and I'm afraid it is considered an artboard I can't change...

Hope somebody knows, in worst case i'll go for the pixel text option

Thanks!

Daniel

I see what you mean trying to open it in Designer…
So, open the label PDF in Affinity Photo and do the Unclip Canvas trick again, the same as you did with the sleeve last time, to reveal the whole template.
Now, in AP go to; File > Edit in Designer. This will load the whole document into Designer looking as you now see it in AP.
Once it’s in Designer you can then use the Text Path features of it’s Text tool there.
If you subsequently want to get it back into AP when you’re done with the Text tool in Designer, go to; File > Edit in Photo.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M