You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Delayed Typing on Windows in Publisher and High GPU Usage

Hello. I searched for delayed typing and couldn't see any other postings in 3 pages. 

I'm just starting to learn Publisher and I noticed that when I type there is a large delay in the text coming out and I can't record with OBS to show. I have to type and wait for the letters to display for about 3 to 5 seconds after I type them. I only have been doing a few words at a time with the delay and it is severely slowing me down. My document isn't complicated and I only have a single image. 

I have to wait about five seconds for this to finish typing itself out: "This sentence takes about five seconds to fill in after I stop typing." 

I noticed that Publisher and Photo use a very large percent of CPU even when they were both minimized and hadn't been used in a few minutes, and Publisher was the same once when I had it open but wasn't interacting with it. I should have plenty of horsepower, and haven't installed any fonts yet. Thank you for your help.

System:

Dell XPS 15 9570, Windows 10 Pro v10.0.17134 Build 17134, Core i& 8750H, 32GB RAM

2019-07-08 10_12_52-Task Manager.png

2019-07-07 18_36_38-Affinity Publisher.png

2019-07-07 18_36_03-Task Manager.png

On 7/9/2019 at 10:12 AM, Pauls said:

Do you have an image or graphic with a complicated text wrap outline - A sample document would let us quickly investigate

Text fields and two tables. I was mocking up a simple invoice to learn Publisher. The delay is apparent when editing the Master and much worse when editing the actual pages. I attached the file. The problems persist between computer reboots and also program reboots. This is version 1.7.1.404 of Publisher. Thank you.  

SlowAnon.afpub

• Staff

Having quickly looked at this I'm not seeing anything as slow as you are getting. A default would be to check that graphics drivers are up to date.  There's nothing in the document that should cause such a slowdown. Is your HD also very active with the high CPU usage ?

Dell Update and Windows Update both show no graphics driver updates, and slow typing doesn't happen with any other program on my system. 

No the Harddrive isn't very active. It always looks like a GPU thing. Here I show that the minimized Designer is using the GPU with no file opened, and Publisher is still VERY slow with typing in that file.

What free software do you know of that I may be able to try and record besides OBS if that will help? 

2019-07-13 14_26_04-Task Manager.png

2019-07-13 14_25_22-Task Manager.png

6 hours ago, Pauls said:

Thank you. I will see if that is able to grab the display. 

I split my window and the task manager shows a GPU spike to 80% and on the low end 50% while typing. It hovers around 60 to 75% GPU while typing but drops down when I'm done. The CPU goes up to about 10% when typing so I doubt it is that. This is kind of confusing. 

I also just tried simply moving the mouse in random directions while not hitting any keyboard or mouse buttons and I was able to get it to regularly hit 100% GPU. No capture software was running at all. Here is a high example. 40560434_2019-07-1511_36_06-TaskManager.thumb.png.5046ac26f745f9cb952d43639020f59b.png

I'm experiencing a similar problem with the memory on my device. Even if I just open Publisher - with nothing else running - the memory jumps to 100% and my laptop shuts everything down. I've been experiencing increased delays when working in Publisher since the release, but since Monday I have not been able to work at all.

I know, my laptop is around 5 years old by now, so not the best thing out there. But Photo and Designer and every other programme works fine. It's just Publisher which brings it to its knees without even having an open document. I have no idea why it's doing that, nor do I know how to fix it. But I've got a deadling coming up and need to finish my project. I don't want to install Publisher on my father's PC without having narrowed down if the problem is with the software or with my laptop. Because if it is with Publisher itself, we have a problem and I don't want to crash my father's computer.

Device:

Acer E5-571G-73W0

Processor: intel core i7-4510U CPU @ 2.000 GHz 2.60 GHz
RAM/Memory: 12 GB (11.9 GB available)

Oh yeah, and I've got Windows 8.1 64bit. 

I've attached two pictures of earlier today when I had opened Publisher.

WhatsApp Image 2019-07-17 at 1.24.24 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-07-17 at 1.25.23 PM.jpeg

Edited by sophiegwrites
Forgot to mention OS

The values shown in the Task Manager were like these from Sophie, when using Windows 8.1 64bit. Now on Windows 10 and the situation got better. Opening a document the used memory jumps to 8 GB (out of 16) and decreases down to the shown value. But in the end much more memory is used compared to Indesign, Designer and Photo.

memory.jpg

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have also seen a lot of issues with this kind of 'slow typing'. I have a three year old Lenovo Thinkpad with Core i7. Affinity Publisher is the only app affected. I have a fairly complicated and graphic intensive document, but it is unusably slow at times.

• 4 weeks later...

After the recent update the behavior is the same. Affinity Publisher is the only Program showing this behavior out of all them. I have no pending or available graphics updates, and everything is updated system wise as well. Moving the mouse does the same thing and so does typing. :| The version is labeled 1.7.2.471

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...