You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Add Style from Selection

(yes I have the latest version: 1.7.0)

Create an object, say a rectangle.  Set its fill to none and its stroke to pure black (rgb 0,0,0).  Then try to add style from selection in the styles panel: nothing happens.

Now change the stroke colour ever so slightly: e.g. rgb 0,1,0.  This is so close to black as to be imperceptible, but it is NOT black.  Now adding style from selection does work.

Robert

(Affinity Designer—Affinity Photo—LiveCode—Mac OS X various)

1 hour ago, Robert Cailliau said:

(yes I have the latest version: 1.7.0)

Create an object, say a rectangle.  Set its fill to none and its stroke to pure black (rgb 0,0,0).  Then try to add style from selection in the styles panel: nothing happens.

Now change the stroke colour ever so slightly: e.g. rgb 0,1,0.  This is so close to black as to be imperceptible, but it is NOT black.  Now adding style from selection does work.

Comment: the latest version for Mac is 1.7.1 or 1.7.1.1, depending on where it was purchased, not 1.7.0.

For your problem: I see the same thing on Windows in Designer 1.7.1.404.

It seems to be fixed in Designer 1.7.2.414 Beta on Windows, though not mentioned in the release notes. I don't think there's a Beta version of Designer for Mac, yet.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Hi Robert,

This is a known issue that is with development to fix.

Walt, I tried our original report in 1.7.2.414 and I can still reproduce it. Could you try the following for me please? It is related to a curve having no fill and the same stroke colour (but different widths.

1. Load the attached file
  2. Select the thinnest curve
  3. In the Styles Panel go to Panel Preferences > Add Style from Selection
    • check.gif New style is added using that stroke size
  4. Now select the thickest curve
  5. In the Styles Panel go to Panel Preferences > Add Style from Selection
    • error.gif Observe this stroke is not added, despite the stroke size being different.

StrokeSize.afdesign

• 1 month later...
On 7/10/2019 at 10:54 AM, Sean P said:

This is a known issue that is with development to fix.

Walt, I tried our original report in 1.7.2.414 and I can still reproduce it. Could you try the following for me please? It is related to a curve having no fill and the same stroke colour (but different widths.

I have just stumbled on this issue with 1.7.2.471 on Windows.

I was trying to create a Style Category with different black lines (i.e. no fill, just different widths and pressure profiles) but it seems it is still impossible. I could create just one style like this and the second one can't be added.

affinity-add-style.gif.f35930884c606aca34b111e2e2e1c4b2.gif

I had to add a solid fill to the selected stroke to add another style but that's obviously not the style I wanted.

EDIT:

The funny thing is that if you select a stroke, apply a style and then click "Add Style" it works and it creates a copy of the style.

If you apply a style to stroke and then change its width or pressure profile it does not work.

It seems there is a typo in the "if" condition - something like "!=" instead of "==".

On 7/10/2019 at 10:54 AM, Sean P said:

1. Load the attached file
  2. Select the thinnest curve
  3. In the Styles Panel go to Panel Preferences > Add Style from Selection
    • check.gif New style is added using that stroke size
  4. Now select the thickest curve
  5. In the Styles Panel go to Panel Preferences > Add Style from Selection
    • error.gif Observe this stroke is not added, despite the stroke size being different.

StrokeSize.afdesign

I can confirm that behaviour too.

I could not add a new style from a different stroke unless I deleted the previous style.

By the way, manual sorting of styles does not work for me too although it is possible in other similar lists (brushes, swatches).

affinity-sort-style.gif.5d52396beb97086344a21b910b692d40.gif

On 7/10/2019 at 4:54 AM, Sean P said:

Sorry, Sean. I missed your post. I probably did not try that scenario when I was testing, and I see that Gunny has confirmed the problem does still exist using your test approach.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

On 9/3/2019 at 1:00 PM, Gunny said:

I have just stumbled on this issue with 1.7.2.471 on Windows.

I was trying to create a Style Category with different black lines (i.e. no fill, just different widths and pressure profiles) but it seems it is still impossible. I could create just one style like this and the second one can't be added.

affinity-add-style.gif.f35930884c606aca34b111e2e2e1c4b2.gif

I had to add a solid fill to the selected stroke to add another style but that's obviously not the style I wanted.

EDIT:

The funny thing is that if you select a stroke, apply a style and then click "Add Style" it works and it creates a copy of the style.

If you apply a style to stroke and then change its width or pressure profile it does not work.

It seems there is a typo in the "if" condition - something like "!=" instead of "==".

By the way, the same behaviour can be seen in Affinity Photo on Windows.

(I hoped I could create the style category in AP and import it to AD.)

It's a shame that .afstyles are binary files - I wish they they were plain text and I could edit them.

4 hours ago, Gunny said:

(I hoped I could create the style category in AP and import it to AD.)

You can. With the style category open in Photo, select Export Style Category on the hamburger/settings menu. Then in Designer you can use Import Style Category.

-- Walt
PC:

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

You can. With the style category open in Photo, select Export Style Category on the hamburger/settings menu. Then in Designer you can use Import Style Category.

I suppose I was not clear enough - I can import a style category from AP to AD so I hoped I could create the styles I wanted (different black strokes without any fill) in Photo. Unfortunately it is impossible because of the same bug so I've got nothing to export from AP.

10 minutes ago, Gunny said:

I suppose I was not clear enough - I can import a style category from AP to AD so I hoped I could create the styles I wanted (different black strokes without any fill) in Photo. Unfortunately it is impossible because of the same bug so I've got nothing to export from AP.

Ah. Sorry; I missed that.

-- Walt
PC:

But why not just create a new Style category? If I've added a style with a 3pt stroke and no fill I can't add another style with a 10pt stroke and no fill to that same category, but I can add it to another category. It's a bit cumbersome to switch categories when I need to access a different style, but it's at least possible now, without waiting for a bug fix.

-- Walt
PC:

Another workaround: Use the Appearance panel to add another stroke to your object. Leave it at 0pt. And, you can even hide it by unchecking it.

For me, Add Style from Selection will work then, I presume because the number of strokes has changed even though they have no visible effect on the object.

-- Walt
PC:

10 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

But why not just create a new Style category? If I've added a style with a 3pt stroke and no fill I can't add another style with a 10pt stroke and no fill to that same category, but I can add it to another category. It's a bit cumbersome to switch categories when I need to access a different style, but it's at least possible now, without waiting for a bug fix.

I though about it too but it is really rather inconvenient. I wanted to use styles to speed up my workflow so this isn't really an improvement. (I have to tweak the parameters of almost every new stroke while drawing because the pressure does not work the way I want.)

9 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Another workaround: Use the Appearance panel to add another stroke to your object. Leave it at 0pt. And, you can even hide it by unchecking it.

For me, Add Style from Selection will work then, I presume because the number of strokes has changed even though they have no visible effect on the object.

That's an interesting trick. :) But I feel bad about creating so many invisible objects that are not really used. :$ I think you also have to make sure that the invisible stroke is placed below the used one. Otherwise it could cause some troubles later while changing colours of several objects at once. (EDIT: And I think I have just found another bug - I can't properly sort disabled strokes.)

Actually, I decided to create the styles with slightly different dark colours for now. When I am satisfied with the outlines I use "select all" and set their colours to 100 % black.

• 11 months later...

I have the same (or a similar) behaviour still in AP 1.8.4 (Mac). What I did:

• Create a line with stoke black 0,1 mm, no fill. Create style.
  • Change the line to dash 8-8, try to create style: Nothing. Add fill white, 0 % opacity: style created.
  • Change dash to 3-5, try to create style: Nothing. Remove fill: Nothing. That's it. No success, whatever else I try.

Now I can, now I can't - looks completely erratic to me. I guess some not-so-intelligent checking goes on in the background, by WHY?