You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Drag and drop to replace images

In PagePlus, I was able to set up my image page by making multiple copies of my first image. I could then just drag and drop replacement images into them. It seems this facility has gone now with Affinity Publisher. This was so important to my workflow, that I guess I will just have to revert to PagePlus to do my work.

Can you please add this facility into Affinity?

I'm curious why it is so important to do it that way. Wouldn't creating Picture Frames as your starting point work just as well?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

6 hours ago, ChrisatBRIL said:

by making multiple copies of my first image. I could then just drag and drop replacement images into them.

Hello @ChrisatBRIL,

if you click on an image (once) and also on a picture that was placed in a picture frame you will see above on the so called 'context toolbar' a button that says 'Replace Image'. This does what you are looking for. The difference is you do not have to pick up the picture externally and drag it into APub but you look up the picture in an 'Open File Dialogue' then click and hit Enter.

It's not the same but maybe an option to look into?

Cheers,
d. 

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

17 hours ago, ChrisatBRIL said:

In PagePlus, I was able to set up my image page by making multiple copies of my first image. I could then just drag and drop replacement images into them. It seems this facility has gone now with Affinity Publisher. This was so important to my workflow, that I guess I will just have to revert to PagePlus to do my work.

Can you please add this facility into Affinity?

I was puzzled with this myself too. Convert the images to individual picture frames. The easiest way is to convert the first one to picture frame and then copy it around. You can't drag' and drop directly on images, but you can on picture frames.

And do _NOT_ rasterise any of them. Once rasterised they aren't available in the resource manager. Rasterised images cannot be converted to picture frames. So you'll end up with that rasterised image for good. If you want to change that image, you have to delete it and start over. Paracetamol helps with the headache.

Thanks for responses from Walt.Farrel, Dominik, and  SirAnoke

First, Walt. The method I used in PagePlus was very much more efficient than using frames. I compose pages of images, some cropped, some of different sizes for publication of scientific papers. These plates are often made up over weeks or even months, and may be changed frequently. Dragging and dropping into the already composed plate is by far the easiest way of changing my image. I tried frames, but they simply don't work in the same easy way. In any case, why take out an already excellent feature. Whilst it is likely that many people do like using frames, it is also likely that some might work the way I do, and even if nobody else likes it, I do. There is a good American aphorism 'If it aint bust, don't fix it', and that is very much apposite to computer programmers.

Dominik, thank you. I had already found this, but it is really inconvenient when I have files in many hundreds of different subdirectories. I can find what I want much more easily from using my ThumbsPlus package without having to hunt for them in a dreaded Open File Dialogue'. The drag and drop was just a perfect way of doing what I wanted. 

SirAnoke, I did try converting the images to frames, and realised I could drag and drop, but this didn't really help because of the way I structure my plates. Thanks also for the tip about not rasterizing images. You are right about paracetomol, but what is intriguing is that I never needed it with PagePlus, but the new improved version gives me migraines, let alone simple headaches.

There also was a great feature that has gone missing. On clicking an image in PagePlus, there is a little icon at the bottom 'replace image'. So easy. Why replace this with something on a context toolbar? The best context for such an icon is exactly where it was placed, attached to the image you want to replace. In the 'replace picture' action, the filename of the image I am replacing appears already filled in. I use this to check the file name of images from my microscope, before replacing it with the relevant scale bar file. With a page of many different images at several different magnifications, this allowed me then to go replace a copy image in the workspace (not on the plate) with the relevant graticule image, so I can then construct the scale bar correctly. Having lost this (another feature that, whilst not relevant perhaps to many, was relevant to me) lost - another non-bust thing that has been 'fixed', I guess.

I apologise for complaining, but I had been awaiting Publisher for a long time, and purchased it immediately when it became available.

Thank you all once more for your input.

• 1 year later...

I'm just testing publisher and would love to get away from Adobe. But I have exactly the same request as ChrisatBRIL. Dragging and dropping 10 - 100 images and placing them in frames is one of the most used features for me. Are there any updates on this? Thank you

• 4 months later...

I see this post is not exactly recent, but it is the one post that covers the exact situation I am looking into. I was able to use drag & drop with Publisher up to a couple months ago and then suddenly the capability is gone. I sought information on whether this was a settings default change or if the support was removed. No information was found. I learned that the "official way" , which seems like a workaround, is to "place" file into document. The placement for this function is not in a sensible location, it requires a file explorer window to open, find then select file and then let it get added to the document. Normally I would have a file explorer window ready with the folder open that I am working with so I can drag and drop as I needed it. Far more efficient, and how Adobe lets you do it as well as countless other design and publishing tools do as well. What boggles my mind is why this functionality was there, then not... what was the logic for disabling it. (statement, not a question). To tell someone they are doing it wrong is not an answer, it's an attack and an ego stroking insult. Which seems to be acceptable behavior on help and support forums.

On 12/17/2020 at 8:05 AM, MadHugger said:

... I was able to use drag & drop with Publisher up to a couple months ago and then suddenly the capability is gone. I sought information on whether this was a settings default change or if the support was removed. No information was found. ...

Drag and Drop still works here on Mac OS 10.14.6 with Publisher 1.8.6

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.