You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there a way to remove overflowing text from a publication? I am splitting a very large document in chapters by doing a save-as and deleting superfluous pages. But then every last page has a text-frame with overflowing text, containing all the rest of the text...

Select all the overflowing text (place cursor in the text, Ctrl+Shift+End to select) and then Delete?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Ha! I've a feeling that the OP already tried that. I did, to no avail. My overflowing text does not go away. I no longer need it, but when I try to publish, I'm reminded that I have overflow text. If I insert empty frames to let it flow in, one of the results (sometimes, I can't even predict what a result will be because it's not consistent) is that the rest of the document goes blank, all 150+ pages. This was originally a Word document, and it's been a nightmare to put together. Another result is that the text will spill across the entire two pages, inside and outside of the the layout, into the abyss. Yet another is that all the links go haywire and I'm left with cris-crossing links, and I do mean haywire.

I've worked through (or around) all of the program's quirks that I've encountered so far, but this one's got me beat (I'm using the latest version.)

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
13 hours ago, shawn49 said:

I know this is an old thread, but I don't get how inserting a frame break solves the problem. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

A frame break will not solve the problem, the text will still overflow on after the frame break.

Place your text caret (cursor) where you want the text to end. Use the Shift + Command + down arrow (on Mac OS, don't know about Windows) to select all the following text and hit the delete key. That is the quickest way to get rid of it all.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

2 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Use the Shift + Command + down arrow (on Mac OS, don't know about Windows)

Shift+Ctrl+End on Windows.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 4/30/2020 at 10:49 AM, GeorgeNFN said:

I have only just started using Publisher, so I am unsure if you managed to solve this issue months ago.   The way round the problem is not to remove the overflow connector but to insert a text frame break:

Menu: Text>Insert>Breaks>Frame Break

I hope this helps.

Thanks very much, George. I had an overflow problem just now in v2.1.0; there were continuous duplicates and no matter how much I was deleting, more kept coming in. I tried your method, plus Shift+Ctrl+End on Windows from Walt and it worked perfectly. ETA: It was also messing with my TOC, so I know it's working perfectly now that the table of contents is generating.

Edited by Em.Marie
Additional info