You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

iPadOS will, if released beta and videos on YouTune are correct, allows you to store your files on external hard drive.  iPad Pro, if USB C or Lightning IPAD Pro, have many options available to connect to hard drives or flash drives.  September is just around the corner.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

You can already off load your files. There are lightning to USB memory sticks, wireless drives, card readers, cloud storage etc etc. No need to wait for iPad OS.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

Split screen Files app is cool, allows drag and drop between locations including external drives (when it works, buggy in current iPadOS13 beta)

C3AC4679-D5C6-4B0F-B7CA-A05FF523633C.png

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

On 7/8/2019 at 5:33 PM, jimfastcar said:

new IPad Pro my main computer 

Say no more. Apple will deliver the new iPad Pro with iPad OS will easily replace your computer. If someone knows the exact source and quote I believe I heard the A12X chip performs better than 93% of all computers in terms of speed even with full computer apps. Even these pro gamers with their impressive gaming computers can’t compete with the A12X 

12 hours ago, ClarityDynamic said:

heard the A12X chip performs better than 93% of all computers in terms of speed even with full computer app

I agree. It will ultimately come down to the quality of the apps available. Both Photo and Designer are somewhat  'crippled" compared to desktop feature sets.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

Meanwhile one can't even do a medium size file for print (in any app!) in any iPad Pro and work fluidly. ( Can one get 64 GB of 3600 GHZ DDR4 RAM on an iPad ? Nope. And to work fast with large files, you need local fast storage, not cloud) Indeed, there's a very low limit of how big the canvas can be, limited even at iOS /Metal /hardware level. Working in large compositions, ultra detailed work where you'd better be on global view most of the time, in a 12,9 inches screen?? C'mon... the ipad is a VERY cool companion, but such statements... (at least for professional work). You cannot compare the A12X with a high end Threadripper, a Ryzen 3900X or an intel 9900k. And gamers are not using it professionally (well, some are), there's a lot of pro users (me included) that follow avidly the huge increase of performance that PC hardware is getting just right now, fully throttled by AMD at this point, as the competition is making a revolution at the chips evolution.

(Edit:  plus, digging the press about it, seems it "almost" did beat some "high end" (?...lol...) chips (having like 2 and sth ghz in base frequency...). You look farther and the tests are done with...mobile intel chips, and not particularly powerful. In the tests, even the old 6700 beats it. A12X is the most powerful thing to date (indeed, impressively powerful) on an ipad but they are NOT comparing to a high-end desktop. Not even a mainstream "high-end" (the PRO gamma would be an Epyc, Threadripper or an intel of the pro gamma (X series)) can be beaten by it, if it already surrenders with one of the mobile cpus of the comparison, or just the 6700. A comparison with a desktop Ryzen 3900x or an intel 9900K could be brutal, savage. And that without overclocking, which the average user (and maybe nobody unless dismantling it or sth) can't do to an ipad, and now is some clicks in most modern solutions). If we'd be to count on that... Without it, the intel top mainstream reaches already 5GHz, the ryzen 3900x has 12 cores and 24 threads (and btw, is 7nm technology too, tho can't really compare), and both can host amazing amounts of ram and storage. Can't have that in the iPad solutions. "Great" for pro work. You can't have liquid cooling or any custom cooling in the ipad to increase performance, you can't scale it up (crucial in professional work) in its specs when needs arise (a or b project)., etc.

Edit 2: Lol, the test is basically barely better than a i7-4770K from 2013, a 6+ year old chip.  The i7 7700K (Q1 2017) is old news now even (surpassed vastly in performance by 8700k, and then demolished by i9 9900k. All are mainstream) , and is still more powerful in the same benchmark system. Add to it that without cooling, it can only maintain (the A12) that performance for some minutes (because it is a tablet! Not its fault...), then it drops to really lower benchmark results (ie, after some minutes editing a video or doing some 3D). Plus all the already mentioned huge issues for pro work with a non-desktop. But I'll say something strongly in favor of the A12X. I have no clue on the internal plans Apple has. But this cpu might end in the laptops. Now, that'd be better. And even better, in a desktop with proper cooling, freedom to increase the ram beyond 8 o 16 GBs for professional work (print, RAW files, 3D, HUGE etc in professional fields), ability to use professional 27 inches monitors (or at least a 24, heck!) for serious work. Then we're talking. But then, we'd be defending the A12X per se, not the tablet, and we'd be back to desktop platform. Where the professional world will stay, anyway (the screen size being a major issue... and nope... connecting the  ipad to a desktop pro monitor is... yet a desktop solution, you can't move that, and you still need to be on a desktop, and while you're there, you'd better get more freedom, and cheaper hardware prices for same memory, storage, etc. Also key in pro work. )...

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.