You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Symbols In Affinity Photo

It seems I can create a symbol and instances of it Designer then edit in Photo and I am still able to edit the symbol and update all instances of it in Affinity Photo, buts whats weird is unless I'm missing soemthing there is NO symbols panel in Affinity Photo? Its very confusing, just put the symbols panel in Photo

2 hours ago, MCFC_4Heatons said:

is NO symbols panel in Affinity Photo?

No, Symbols is specific feature in Affinity Designer.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

17 hours ago, Pšenda said:

No, Symbols is specific feature in Affinity Designer.

This is where all the confusion is though - I have Publisher, Photo and Designer - I can switch between design and photo personas inside Publisher, I can create a symbol in design persona and update it and all instances of the synbol in photo persona mode but I have to switch back to design persona if I want to create a new symbol . I  do not know the the exact reason for doing  this and whether Affinity are worried about sales figure being affected if the crossover features are too many in each app.

We would not have a problem with paying significantly more than the current price for purchasing all three apps for a single app that bundled everything together without the need for switching between apps or modes. Also the photo persona in Publisher  is missing some Photo features, Photoshop Plugins are not  in there for example so if you need to use a Photoshop Plugin you need to 'edit in Photo', save then reopen in Publsiher, bit of a ball-ache and quite irritating tbh.....

Honestly think the software has a lot going for it but Affinity need to stop all this confusing switching ... If you want to offer seamless integration inside Publisher, makes sure it IS seamless and includes ALL the features of Photo and Designer.  At the moment this 'strategy' looks a bit 'Adobe-esk'.  Its not about money its about workflow, speed and elminating the need for round-trips, saving and reopening etc etc  ....  The sofftware would represent good value at twice the price with a true all-in-one package.

We bought a copy of Publsher for and to look at the integration of Photo and Designer and a have been dissapointed to see it doesnt incldue ALL features  of Designer and Photo.

8 hours ago, MCFC_4Heatons said:

We bought a copy of Publsher for and to look at the integration of Photo and Designer

When Designer Persona is activated, Symbols (Symbols panel) are also available in Publisher.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

18 hours ago, Pšenda said:

When Designer Persona is activated, Symbols (Symbols panel) are also available in Publisher.

I think you misunderstood me ... I know that, but its just remarkably annoying that I can update existing symbols in Affinity Photo or in photo persona but the symbols panel is not available in Photo or Photo Persona mode, so i have to switch back to Designer or Design Persona in Publisher to create a new symbol.

I just want ALL THE FEATURES of Photo and Designer in ONE app without doing round trips or having to switch modes ... I just don't undestand  why Affinity does this. The integration in Publisher with Photo and Desginer for example is not a complete integration as anticipated, some aspects of Photo are missing like Photoshop Plugins. The whole approach just seems to be an exercise in p*ssing people off  with these little irritations, when a simple solution would be to to make a TRUE all-in-one app  ......

My honest opinion .... The biggest frustration is Affinity are very close to something very special :) .....

• 8 months later...
On 4/6/2020 at 10:21 AM, Andrew Buckle said:

Be great to be able to create a design and then store it away as a symbol or perhaps something like the libraries feature in Photoshop so you can quickly bring back your designs into Photo or Designer etc 

You don't need symbols for that, the Assets panel is likely a better fit, and that one is available in Photo.

Unfortunately they do not sync among the apps - each of them has its own assets library - but the feature is there in all three, and you can export assets from one app and import them into the others.

@MCFC_4HeatonsPublisher is the full software package, when you hit the Photo or Designer buttons you are just changing personas “within” Publisher and NOT switching to another application. Think of going from Vector to Pixel persona in Designer, in Publisher it is doing the same thing exactly simply bringing up the other menus. The external applications Photo and Designer are not actually touched or opened from within Publisher they just check initially that you have paid for the “full” package. This is my personal opinion anyway.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help