You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

White Outlines on a photo after export

I open a NEF File to devlope it and when i export it as .jpg, sometimes there are white outlines to see like in the attached screenshot. This beahvoir is not every time and the outlines are not at the same places, the position of them are random. In Photo, when the image is opened, there are no lines to see, but after exporting sometimes they are. It doesn´t matter which Export Format i use (jpg, png), the outlines are there. If i cut the image in Photo, sometimes the outlines are away, sometimes not. And it´s not the programm that i use to view the images (Irfan View). I see the lines on my photos in the browser when i load them up to Pixabay or Facebook. In the attached image you see the lines on the right and on the bottom.
This Behavior is also in the Beta .420.
My Camera is Nikon D5500 but I don't think the mistake is there.
If needed i post the same issue in the beta Forum too.

If you need the Files, i send them you.

1686130646_ScreenShot004.thumb.JPG.7964956e1f3d4f1ec6110b67c8154b74.JPG

Have a nice day.
Ich wünsche einen schönen Tag.

• 2 weeks later...

@Chris B
Sorry for my late response. I was very busy last Week and i had no Time to take part in here.
I believe you mean the Tarnsform Panel in the Screenshot below. I cutted the image in Develop Persona. Original is 6000 x 4000px.

1819675371_ScreenShot010.JPG.efe00f84e8727dd01a7a9823ef0b2fca.JPG

I've also noticed that the error occours when i developed a RAW File in Develop Persona and export this. If i open the jpg (my Camera saves jpg and RAW) and export it, the error doesn´t occour.
If you need, i can send you the .afphoto from the image which i show here. I opened the .afphoto and exported it and then it looks like in the screenshot below.

1261857758_ScreenShot009.thumb.JPG.d0054ec9f4dc4df47d19c1fc8634958e.JPG

And now i noticed an other Thing. The image, which will be exported, is larger than the image which is opened.

557379765_ScreenShot011.thumb.jpg.3fcd0576a3133e1b2ba5014af9d344c5.jpg

The export Panel shows 5326 x 3699px, the Transform Panel on the right side shows 5325 x 3698 px.

Have a nice day.

• Staff

I'd appreciate the file. I've made you a folder here.

The reason I asked about the X and Y coordinates is because if you have the image placed over half a pixel, it can cause a gap but your screenshot suggests this isn't the case and is why I'd like the file. 

• Staff

Hey Uwe367,

The canvas size is 5325.67 x 3698.55 px and the image is 5325 x 3698 px

This is why you are getting the gap at the right and bottom edges. I'd resize the canvas to match the image as you're only shaving off half a pixel or so.

Perhaps considering increasing the decimal places for pixels in Preferences > User Interface to 1 or 2 (if you have it set to 0). The default is 1 so this should be enough to let you know that you aren't using an integer number when you check the canvas. 

@Chris B
Thanks for your hints, and yes, you are right.
If I resize the canvas to the size of the picture, the gap in the exported image is gone.
To change the Preferences > User Interface has no Effect. It was standing on 1 (default) and i checked it with ohter settings, but without success.
The only Way that helps is to resize the canvas manually to the imagesize. But in this case an other question comes up. Why is the canvas larger than the image?

Isn't it the case that the canvas size should automatically adjust to the image size, or am i mistaken?

Have a nice day.

8 hours ago, Michail said:

Are you sure you haven't changed anything about the canvas size? If so, then this question is very justified!

I develop a RAW File in Develop Persona, cut it in Develop Persona, most Times with the golden Spiral, and when it´s opened in Photo Persona, i export it as .jpg or .png with the Size from Develop Persona. Somtimes, not often and not with all images, i use one or some Filters / Live-Filters in Photo Persona, but they doesn´t change the canvas size. I changed / change nothing about the canvas size, not in editing the image nor in the Settings of the Programm. I didn't even know that i can adjust this in the Preferences. I´m really sure that i changed nothing about the canvas Size. Sometimes the image has a gap on the right AND bottom, sometimes only bottom or only right and sometimes there is no gap. It´s random.
I believe this is a Software Bug because the canvas, how @Chris B wrote, is larger than the image and in this case logically i get a gap.
I wonder that no one else has this Problem too. It seems so because no one else can confirm this Behavior.
For now i use the Hint from Chris B and change the canvas Size manually to the imagesize.

Have a nice day.

• Staff

I've just developed the NEF that you also included and it is the same size as the canvas. The size I got was 6016 x 4016 px @300 dpi which is different to the 5325 x 3698 px in your afphoto file. Are you sure you aren't manually doing something to the image?

@Chris B

I wrote that i cutted the NEF File with the golden Spiral so that it got 5325 x 3698 px in Develop Persona. This you can see if you open the. afphoto File. I only cutted it, developed it, used some filters and exported it.

I had no other Things done with the image and nothing done with the canvas.

Have a nice day.

• Staff
9 minutes ago, Uwe367 said:

I wrote that i cutted the NEF File with the golden Spiral so that it got 5325 x 3698 px in Develop Persona

Quite right—sorry I missed that.

Sadly, I have no idea how the canvas is a different size as afaik this shouldn't be possible by just cropping an image o.O Please monitor it and if you get a recipe let me know.

5 hours ago, Uwe367 said:

I develop a RAW File in Develop Persona, cut it in Develop Persona, most Times with the golden Spiral, and when it´s opened in Photo Persona, i export it as .jpg or .png with the Size from Develop Persona. Somtimes, not often and not with all images, i use one or some Filters / Live-Filters in Photo Persona, but they doesn´t change the canvas size. I changed / change nothing about the canvas size, not in editing the image nor in the Settings of the Programm. I didn't even know that i can adjust this in the Preferences. I´m really sure that i changed nothing about the canvas Size. Sometimes the image has a gap on the right AND bottom, sometimes only bottom or only right and sometimes there is no gap. It´s random.
I believe this is a Software Bug because the canvas, how @Chris B wrote, is larger than the image and in this case logically i get a gap.
I wonder that no one else has this Problem too. It seems so because no one else can confirm this Behavior.
For now i use the Hint from Chris B and change the canvas Size manually to the imagesize.

Hi,

I'm new to Affinity Photo, have the latest version installed and updated, using Windows 10 PRO, on an old HP Z800 running Dual Xeon 5570 with a crappy old Quadro P600, (AMD Radeon Red Dragon RX 580 8GB GDDR5 GPU on the way :D )...OK, on to the important stuff..lol.

I would just like to add I also get this happening without cropping or doing any resizing. I'm using a Nikon D850, large RAW files size, there has been no changes made by me in regards to settings, canvas size or anything in that regards. I noticed this after zooming in then back out, a white edge would appear (on any random side) and stay there, even after exporting. The image could be zoomed to 100%, move to the edge and you will see the white line there. It's really bothersome and has made me think I was doing something wrong and almost gave up with Affinity all together... I now "watch out" for it, which is tiring and should not be necessary. I'm going to delete and reinstall Affinity, see if it makes a difference (if any settings were possibly changed unbeknownst to me).

I will try to replicate this again, (maybe later today if time permits), and if you would like, I could maybe send the (NEF) file(s) for you to test. I would like to help resolve this long ongoing issue ASAP.. It seems there has been a number of us with this same bug...is it only Nikon files? I think all the reports I have read so far are with Nikon files, there's probably other manufactures as I didn't read them all..

Thanks for your help.

p.s. I'm enjoying editing with Affinity and really hope this minor bug can be resolved...sooner. :)

Cheers, 

Hi @Chris B  

I did some  testing and experienced a more or less similar problem.
In Develop Persona, after cropping, when zooming in very deeply (at 1000% or more), only at the bottom and the right hand side, a transparent border appears.
Don't know if this is relevant !

Cropping in Develop Persona.jpg

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

• Staff
30 minutes ago, HVDB Photography said:

Hi @Chris B  

I did some  testing and experienced a more or less similar problem.
In Develop Persona, after cropping, when zooming in very deeply (at 1000% or more), only at the bottom and the right hand side, a transparent border appears.
Don't know if this is relevant !

Are you dragging out the crop or are you typing in an integer number? If you drag the chances are you will be using a floating point and it will contain decimals so you will be left with say, half a pixel gap and when zoomed in, it can look bigger than it is. 

If you've got Force Pixel alignment enabled in the Photo Persona, you should not be getting half pixels so I'd check this first.

It looks like 1.6 always forced pixel alignment with the crop but this isn't the case in 1.7. I'll check.

13 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Are you dragging out the crop or are you typing in an integer number? If you drag the chances are you will be using a floating point and it will contain decimals so you will be left with say, half a pixel gap and when zoomed in, it can look bigger than it is. 

If you've got Force Pixel alignment enabled in the Photo Persona, you should not be getting half pixels.

Cropping in Photo Persona, with Force Pixel Alignment works fine (I know)

But, I was cropping/dragging in Develop Persona  and when moving back to Photo the transparency is still there.

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

• Staff

I can't reproduce it if I have Force Pixel alignment enabled.

If you're seeing a white line down the side but under high zoom there's no white gap, that's a different thing entirely.

Check the dimension box when dragging out your crop in Develop Persona. There should no no decimals with Force Pixel alignment enabled and you should have no actual white gap.

48 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Check the dimension box when dragging out your crop in Develop Persona. There should no no decimals with Force Pixel alignment enabled and you should have no actual white gap.

True, but only if also snapping is on (Develop Persona).

But after developing the transparency is still visible ...

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42

@Chris B
I believe i found out where the error happens. It seems that it happens in Develop Persona.
I open my NEF File in Develop Persona and crop it with the crop Tool. In the following Video you can see the Imagesize after cropping and it seems that this Size will be transferred to Photo Persona as Canvas Size, not as Image Size because the Canvas Size in Photo Persona is the same than the Image Size in Develop Persona. How to see is the Image Size smaller than the Canvas Size and this is why i get the gap. Maybe something is going wrong with the calculating?
See the following video please:

In the next Video i show you what happens if i open the .jpg from the same Image out of the Camera, crop it with the crop Tool in Photo Persona and export it.
There this error doesn´t happen because the Canvas Size is the same than the Image Size. After Export i get no gap.

I hope this Videos will help to find out what happens there.

Have a nice day.

I have done some more Tests and it seems that in Photo Persona you must have Force Pixel Alignment  AND  Snapping enabled. Then, and only then, Develop Persona works with whole Pixels and not with Decimals when you crop an image and later, after developing, the Canvas Size in Photo Persona is the same Size than the Image Size and you can export it without a gap. If there´s one of these two Options in Photo Persona disabled, Develop Persona works with Decimals and then you get a gap after Export it from Photo Persona because the cropped Imagesize from Develop Persona will be transferred as Canvas Size to Photo Persona.

Please see the screenvideo below.

So I don't think it's a real Bug, it's rather an unlucky place to make these adjustments. Maybe it would be better if Devlop Persona only works with whole pixels, no matter which settings are done in Photo Persona, because what do the settings in Photo Persona have to do with developing RAW files? That is confusing and, in my Opinion, a Part of Develop Persona.
I hope we figured now out from where this Behavior comes.

Have a nice day.