You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo seems aggressive with highlights

Hi All,

I am 6 days into my free trial of affinity photo.  I really like the software but have noticed that whites/highlights blow out way more severely than they do in Lightroom. Is this something affinity is known for?  Is it an issue and is there a way to modify it, so that it is not as sensitive to exposure/white adjustments?

Cheers

Iain

Hi @//iain

Welcome to the forums, I am not aware of any issues concerning highlights blowing or experienced it myself. Can you let us have a bit more info. What Raw format and which camera are you using, what are your settings in the develop assistant?  (this can be found on the context toolbar towards the right) a screenshot showing the full screen with the develop assistant open can be the best way to let us see plenty of info that can point us in the right direction.

Be prepared for more questions but we will help you get it sorted. :)

I got the same issue with Affinity Photo. 

I have a Sony A6300 and using the Raw Files. Whilst having Lightroom I had no issues shooting quiet underexposed and dragging the shadows back up, to get a certain mood into the picture.

Altough I'm struggling to recover the shadows with Affinity Photo, since they crack up or sth like that. Anyway it doesn't look good..

How do you recover the shadows and blacks? In Develop Persona with Exposure or with shadows and highlights? Nothing seems to work to get the result lightroom would've brought me with pulling one slider to the right :/

Cheers, Max.

12 hours ago, Murfee said:

Hi @//iain

Welcome to the forums, I am not aware of any issues concerning highlights blowing or experienced it myself. Can you let us have a bit more info. What Raw format and which camera are you using, what are your settings in the develop assistant?  (this can be found on the context toolbar towards the right) a screenshot showing the full screen with the develop assistant open can be the best way to let us see plenty of info that can point us in the right direction.

Be prepared for more questions but we will help you get it sorted. :)

Hi @Murfee

Thank you for responding so quickly. I have attached a screenshot, which I hope has the correct information you requested.  With regards to the format/camera - It was an old Sony a57 and I shot in sRGB using Sony .ARW.

I have tried several ways and they all respond a little different but all seem more aggressive than Lightroom.  I have tried:

- Adjusting Highlights in RAW developer.

- Adding a Shadow/Highlight Layer

- Adding an exposure adjustment layer - This is the most severe.

I noticed in Lightroom that when selecting dodge/burn it is basically reducing exposure and I assume Affinity does the same thing, so I tried dodging/burning via the exposure adjustment layer.  I know there is a dodge burn tool on the left but it seemed so subtle I could not tell a difference.  Also, IIRC, you need to apply dodge/burn brush at the Pixel layer, which I would prefer to avoid.

Screenshot 2019-07-08 at 10.27.16.png

Hi @//iain & @Southwest_Visuals 

I do very little processing in the develop persona, I prefer to do all of my adjustments in the photo persona, this is because I like to be able to go back and alter things, currently this is not possible in the develop persona once you have clicked develop. You can go back in but all of your sliders will have reset. Hopefully the team will make improvements here as it has been requested quite a lot by users. 

You could try the Live Filter in the photo persona for shadows/highlights, there is more control in this as you can also set the ranges that you want affected. 

I shoot with Nikon and have no experience using Sony, hopefully someone else can give their methods to get the best out of the files. 

2 hours ago, //iain said:

I know there is a dodge burn tool on the left but it seemed so subtle I could not tell a difference.  Also, IIRC, you need to apply dodge/burn brush at the Pixel layer, which I would prefer to avoid.

There is a none destructive way, add a fill layer and select 50% grey as the colour, set the blend mode to overlay (I think, not near a desktop to check and I use a macro to set mine up) now you can paint on this layer with the dodge & burn tools, I normally use a low opacity brush & build up the effect

If you want to reduce the amount that the sliders affect the picture when adding an adjustment layer such as shadows/highlights then you can take the opacity down a bit on the adjustment layer (it's just there in the corner, so no need to switch back out of the dialogue). That will make the adjustments more subtle as it's then mixing it with the original. Also, don't forget you can add more than one adjustment layer even if it's the exactly the same as a previous one, so you can always add a second shadows/highlights to use with the shadows and have that a different opacity than the one you use on the highlights, so they each have their own aggressiveness.

24 minutes ago, //iain said:

Thanks for the responses folks, much appreciated.  I will do some more playing around.

First chance I have had to see your screenshot, I was on my mobile earlier, I love the photo. :)

Hopefully you will find using the live shadow/highlights filter, rather than the adjustment layer shown, will give you more control and achieve the results you want.

23 hours ago, Murfee said:

First chance I have had to see your screenshot, I was on my mobile earlier, I love the photo. :)

Hopefully you will find using the live shadow/highlights filter, rather than the adjustment layer shown, will give you more control and achieve the results you want.

Thank you, that is very kind.  I will have a play around with the live filters, to see if that is of any help.  I am having some trouble with panorama also, so that is taking a bit of my time.

Just an update to for @Murfee & @Southwest_Visuals

Tried live filters and they are so much better, at least for shadow and highlight adjustments.  They don't go to the extreme at all and are nowhere near as sensitive as the adjustment layers.  I don't understand why there is a shadow/highlight adjustment layer and live filter. Very confusing for a newbie.

Anyways, thank you very much @Murfee for helping with this query, and to @Dazzleralso, thank you!