You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello everyone,

First straightforward to the question: I have bought both Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo, version to 1.6.1. I see there are update for both. Since both the icons are changed, I assume this is a big upgrade instead of general update.

Usually I google a lot to see if the upgrade is stable. Currently I am busy with some deadlines, but I am also soooo exciting (curious) about the upgrade, therefore I post a thread here, to see if I could click the upgrade button in App store without worrying about the app's functions/stability etc.

I also didn't upgrade the OS X to the latest... (was about to google as well), my operation system is macOS High Sierra version 10.13.6. Also a bit thank you if you could tell me if the version Mojave worth the effort.

Once again thank you.

15 minutes ago, shizuka said:

Currently I am busy with some deadlines

Don't do it just yet

There are a few problems with the 1.7 release which are being addressed in some betas.  I would wait until that has been completed.

I currently have the official 1.6, 1.7 and 1.7 beta versions on my PC but I had to plan that in advance rather than just upgrading to 1.7 when it was released.

Not sure about MACs but there may be a way to also get 1.6 and 1.7 installed as separate applications, someone else may be able to advise further regarding this.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

18 minutes ago, carl123 said:

I had to plan that in advance

Good move, Carl. So much better than trying to plan retrospectively! :P

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

38 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Don't do it just yet

There are a few problems with the 1.7 release which are being addressed in some betas.  I would wait until that has been completed.

I currently have the official 1.6, 1.7 and 1.7 beta versions on my PC but I had to plan that in advance rather than just upgrading to 1.7 when it was released.

Not sure about MACs but there may be a way to also get 1.6 and 1.7 installed as separate applications, someone else may be able to advise further regarding this.

Many thanks!

Ok, I'll keep an eye on the upcoming fix and eventually a stable version!

• 2 months later...
42 minutes ago, shizuka said:

Hello, 

Thanks for your advise in July. It has been three months, is now safe to upgrade to the latest version of the new Designer and Photo? 

Thank you in advance :)

I have upgraded to v. 1.7.3 — the latest in both Photo and Designer and they are working beautifully with Sierra.   I have no plans to upgrade to either High Sierra (until I have to) or to Mohave.   

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

Yes, 1.7.3 appears to be a lot more stable

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Thank you, jmwellborn and carl123! I'm going to upgrade right now, can't wait to see the new version :) :) :)

13 hours ago, jmwellborn said:

I have no plans to upgrade to either High Sierra (until I have to) or to Mohave.   

Hi jmwellborn, may I ask why you stay with Sierra? I just checked my MBP, it's High Sierra 10.13.6. I remember I was directly from Mavericks to High Sierra, otherwise it was very limited to work together with my iPhone and iPad... if I'm already with High Sierra, is it better to upgrade to Mohave? Thank you!

3 hours ago, shizuka said:

Thank you, jmwellborn and carl123! I'm going to upgrade right now, can't wait to see the new version :) :) :)

Hi jmwellborn, may I ask why you stay with Sierra? I just checked my MBP, it's High Sierra 10.13.6. I remember I was directly from Mavericks to High Sierra, otherwise it was very limited to work together with my iPhone and iPad... if I'm already with High Sierra, is it better to upgrade to Mohave? Thank you!

I am not the right person to ask about upgrading to Mohave.  All I know is that some time ago, when I was speaking with Apple tech support about a completely different issue, I asked whether it was smart to upgrade to Mohave when Sierra was working so well for me.  I was definitely advised against it.  Eventually, when Apple stops supporting it with Safari updates, I suppose I will have to upgrade to High Sierra (which will still be supported for a few years) but until then I am working with a desktop that handles everything with ease and without glitches.  

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

17 hours ago, jmwellborn said:

I am not the right person to ask about upgrading to Mohave.  All I know is that some time ago, when I was speaking with Apple tech support about a completely different issue, I asked whether it was smart to upgrade to Mohave when Sierra was working so well for me.  I was definitely advised against it.  Eventually, when Apple stops supporting it with Safari updates, I suppose I will have to upgrade to High Sierra (which will still be supported for a few years) but until then I am working with a desktop that handles everything with ease and without glitches.  

Thank you jmwellborn :) I'm also fine with High Sierra at the moment, so i'm going to stay with it. The only inconvenience is it doesn't work with my AirPods 2 at all.

I tried to avoid put myself into a situation that after upgrading things do not work properly then I have to google a lot either to fix it or upgrade other apps accordingly or even to downgrade it. It happened once during my thesis writing, my pc windows automatically upgraded to windows 10... don't want to experience the stress anymore :4_joy: Thanks for sharing your point of view!