You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• 2 months later...

I keep trying this method to install Dutch for spelling check (want to keep the program itself running in Eng) but each time I re-open AFpub the option is gone from my settings. Win, updated to 2.1.1. What could be the issue??

5 hours ago, Merel said:

each time I re-open AFpub the option is gone from my settings.

Do you mean this language option does not exist any more in the menu?

Or do you rather want it to be set for every new text frame you create? In this case it may help to set a text frame accordingly and then choose menu Edit > Defaults > Synchronise From Selection + again menu Edit > Defaults > Save. – It worked for me in V1 to get every new frame created by default as "German".

defaultlanguage.jpg.149710ac3d85b1e92124db0f94c68bb0.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• Staff

Typically this is because you have downloaded the wrong thing. It is quite common to get the html page the language pack is on rather than the pack itself. If you post that here we can check if that's the case. You can also download some we saved earlier here

Yes I see,

10 minutes ago, Pauls said:

I find it best to download the whole folder from github then copy the dictionaries you want from there

I just downloaded them from the github pages with the .dic extension so it's still a tricky thing to do.

Had another go and found that downloading the complete zip file and copy/pasting the files gives an empty .dic file from the zip file
Better to use the version @walt.farrell provided in this thread.
I will put that zip in my previous post too.

The dictionary FAQ article has 2 posts in it. The first one describes the folder structure and where to put dictionaries, and provides a pointer to GitHub.

The second post contains pointers to the actual files. If you download from the second post, rather than downloading from GitHub directly, you will get the files in the proper format.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1