You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Anything built for Hunspell should work, which means anything built for OpenOffice or LibreOffice, too. The LibreOffice collection on GitHub is often a good starting point, and you can find their Dutch set here: https://github.com/LibreOffice/dictionaries/tree/master/nl_NL

You need the .aff file and the two .dic files.

Edit: Downloading the files is tricky. If you're not careful you end up downloading an HTML page instead, which won't work. This approach should work:

1. Click on the file you want (say, hyph_nl_NL.dic). That will display the file contents, or tell you it's too large.
  2. If it displays the contents, right-click on the Raw button, and choose Save File.
  3. If it tells you it's too large, right-click on the Download button, and choose Save File.

After downloading them, open Publisher's Preferences/Tools, and near the bottom of the panel on the Additional Dictionaries setting, click Open:

image.png.b7fc0dfc4f3b461e699356865527a19f.png

FIle Explorer will open. Create a new directory nl_NL, and place the 3 files downloaded from GitHub in it. Then all you should need to do is restart Publisher, and you will be able to set Dutch as a spelling and hyphenation language using the Character panel or when defining Text Styles.

Edited by walt.farrell
Add specific download instructions for GitHub.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff
3 minutes ago, TonHaarmans said:

Thanks! Unfortunately, when I change the Text Styles language settings AFPub immediately crashes :-(

Could you please restart Publisher and try again (perhaps you already did), I wonder if this crash is because you have just added extra languages

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

I have restarted a number of times with an existing document and every time when I define the language it crashes....
When I create a new document I can set the language and the spelling on Dutch, but typing anything (correct and incorrect) will give red lines under the words...

• Staff

Thanks, can you please:

1. provide (attach) a sample document

2. Provide the Dutch language files you added and

3. tell us the location where you put those language files.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

1 minute ago, TonHaarmans said:

Location of the language files: ProgramData > Affinity > Common > 1.0 > Dictionaries

I would have expected ProgramData > Affinity > Common > 1.0 > Dictionaries > nl_NL

Did you just forget to mention that directory? (I expect so, as otherwise I don't think that you'd be able to select Dutch at all.)

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

44 minutes ago, TonHaarmans said:

Here are the files.

Location of the language files: ProgramData > Affinity > Common > 1.0 > Dictionaries

test.afpub

hyph_nl_NL.dic

nl_NL.aff

nl_NL.dic

My apologies.

I forgot that downloading the individual dictionary files from GitHub is tricky, and you didn't get them downloaded correctly.

On the GitHub site, click on the file you want (say, hyph_nl_NL.dic). That will display the file contents, or tell you it's too large.

If it displays the contents, right-click on the Raw button, and choose Save File.

If it tells you it's too large, right-click on the Download button, and choose Save File.

If you try to save directly from the directory listing you end up saving HTML pages that will display the file, rather than saving the actual file.

-- Walt
PC:

Here's a .zip file for Dutch that I just made after downloading those files using the method I described above.

nl_NL.zip

-- Walt
PC:

• Staff

Great, Does that mean you have correctly spelt Dutch and no crashing?

Has Walt resolved this ticket for us :) ?

(Even if he has I feel we may still make a report that the wrong language files can crash the app)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

1 hour ago, Patrick Connor said:

Has Walt resolved this ticket for us

It's only fair that I resolved it, since my instructions were incomplete and resulted in the crash.

But yes, detecting the incorrect file format, or at least trapping the error, seem appropriate :)

-- Walt
PC:

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Deetman said:

Can you install the Dutch language pack of Affinity programs on iOS (Mojave)? And if so, how?

As this is a desktop forum, it would be better for you to post that question as a new topic in Affinity on iPad Questions.

-- Walt
PC:

• Staff

@Deetman

Do you mean the software user interface in Dutch or spell checking of text you create?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

As this is a desktop forum, it would be better for you to post that question as a new topic in Affinity on iPad Questions.

Mojave is the latest version of macOS. I think the reference to iOS was a slip of the ‘pen’.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

@ Patrick Conner

Do you mean the software user interface in Dutch or spell checking of text you create? 

Answer: Both

@Alfred

Mojave is the latest version of macOS. I think the reference to iOS was a slip of the ‘pen’.

Yes, I meant the Operating System Mojave for the iMac desktop computer

Selecting the program, showing Package content and adding nl-NL dictionary to Affinity Photo | Contents | Resources | Dictionaries did not mean Dutch appeared in Affinity Photo Preferences | General | Language.

Fooling the program by changing the contents of for instance hyph_de_DE.dic by hyph_nl_NL.dic also did not work.

The dutch dictionary files were the same (Windows only?) files as Walt Farrell put in the link to a ZIP file in his post of 7 July

24 minutes ago, Deetman said:

Selecting the program, showing Package content and adding nl-NL dictionary to Affinity Photo | Contents | Resources | Dictionaries did not mean Dutch appeared in Affinity Photo Preferences | General | Language.

Is there any reason you add it to the application package file instead to the according preference folders?

~/Library/Spelling/...
~/Library/Dictionaries/...

... <– subfolder with a name in the format xx_XX (ie nl_NL) 

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

1 hour ago, Deetman said:

That Preference is for the User Interface (UI) language. You cannot change the languages that are available for the UI itself; those are setup by Serif, and involve translating various text strings present in the code into the supported languages.

You can only add additional dictionaries for spell-checking and hyphenation, and the language would become visible in the Spelling and/or Hyphenation options in the Character or Paragraph Panels, or when editing Text Styles.

-- Walt
PC:

To Thomaso:

Is there any reason you add it to the application package file instead to the according preference folders?

~/Library/Spelling/...

Could not find above location only Programma's/Affinity Photo/Contents/Resources/Dictionaries

So I would close this topic (Het is genoeg). Changing the language of the UI (and help, etc) to Dutch (not possible as mentioned by Walt Farrell) will probably not happen due to the small number of Dutch speaking users.

1 hour ago, Deetman said:

~/Library/Spelling/...

Could not find above location

On mac you get there in Finder by typing "Cmd Shift G". It opens a text field where you enter the above strings (without "...").

29966018_LibrarySpelling.jpg.fd902c2c0fe750f0477709fcf3b24d38.jpg

After hitting the enter key you are in the according folder where you can generate the necessary sub-folders with their correct names in the format xx_XX (ie nl_NL).

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1