You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Page template or master pages in designer

Hi,

What is everyone doing for the best way of creating a master page (header, footer, etc...) in designer that can be used on all art boards and can be updated so that any changes are seen across all art boards?  I'm referring more to additional elements being added versus the styling.  For example: text content changes to the footer showing across all boards.

Thanks,
Ryan.

Use symbols for mass changes to objects across all artboards. 

Make a document with all the elements you need on a single artboard and save it, this can be your "Template" when you want to create a document open the "Template" and Save As... You can then start to add to your new document, so to make more Artboards with the symbol objects you want, duplicate the first Artboard and work on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc and keep duplicating the 1st Artboard as needed.

I'm sure other's will have better idea's but this is what I would probably do.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

For what you're describing, Publisher and Pages seems more appropriate than Designer and Artboards.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I agree, the pages and master pages are great in publisher but if you try and 'edit in designer' to export assets then there is no way to get back to publisher.  

I also see where designer does not open the multiple pages that were created from the publisher file.  

If designer had master artboards and/or pages then that would be great.  I'll run my suggestion by them.

Thanks,

Ryan.

6 minutes ago, gr8rck said:

agree, the pages and master pages are great in publisher but if you try and 'edit in designer' to export assets then there is no way to get back to publisher.  

I also see where designer does not open the multiple pages that were created from the publisher file.  

Don't "Edit in Designer". Just switch to the Designer Persona in Publisher. Much simpler.

And, in 1.7.2, Designer gains the "Edit in Publisher" function. Without that, you're right that it's difficult to get back.

If you do "Edit in Designer" it has access to all the Publisher pages. You navigate using the page navigator on the lower left of the screen, next to the Status bar.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1