You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Canvas/Pasteboard item visibility

In Publisher, is there a way to see items placed on the pasteboard or outside the page area. I often place item to the side of the page when i'm constructing and at the moment if i place something there it just visually disappears. If i don't remember where i placed it or select all there is no way of knowing anything is there.

Maybe i'm just missing a setting somewhere.

Turn off View >  View Mode > Clip to Canvas (default shortcut: \)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 year later...
5 minutes ago, Kevin Jacobs said:

I opened that PDF in Affinity Publisher. I am unable to so see any artwork that i place on the pasteboard. I tried the above instructions but that did not work. Any solutions?

In Publisher, the usable default pasteboard area is to the right and left of the pages/spreads. If you put items there, and you have View > View Mode > Clip to Canvas turned off, they should be visible. If you try to out them above or below pages they won't be visible.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Just now, Kevin Jacobs said:

I already tried that and that did not work.

Please provide some screenshots to let us see exactly what you're doing and seeing.

Also, please confirm that you are talking about placing items on the pasteboard after you open the PDF in Publisher, not items you placed on the pasteboard in In Design before you created the PDF.

-- Walt
PC:

View > View mode > Clip to Canvas. Turn it off.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

34 minutes ago, Kevin Jacobs said:

Yeah i tried that as well without any success. Im very new to the Affinity programs so Im just assuming either i have a corrupt file or i just don't know much at all about Affinity Publisher. Im using a Mack Book Pro 15 in, 10.13.6 version Mid 2012.

Can you give us a screen shot of your Publisher workspace with the View > View Mode menu expanded? In fact, it would be nice if it included your example above, too.

-- Walt
PC:

Hello Walt,

Here are two screenshots of my Affinity Publisher file. The element

that im trying to move onto the pasteboard is a Nutritional Facts its a PNG file. Ae you can see it still does not show up on the pasteboard. But if i draw a new box with a stroke and turn the clipped to canvas off that box with a stroke appears on the paste board. 

Screen Shot 2021-07-05 at 5.18.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-05 at 5.19.15 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-05 at 5.27.42 PM.png

17 hours ago, Kevin Jacobs said:

I opened a PDF file that was originally designed in Adobe In Design

This could be the source of the problem. Maybe the rectangle is in a group that is somehow clipped to the canvas.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

13 hours ago, Kevin Jacobs said:

The element

that im trying to move onto the pasteboard is a Nutritional Facts its a PNG file. Ae you can see it still does not show up on the pasteboard.

It is certainly possible to have a PNG in the pasteboard area of a Publisher document and it will be visible:

image.png.32acffb5fbea7e33025af7c3706d1b7f.png

If that doesn't work for you we may need to have a copy of your .afpub file to determine why it doesn't work.

-- Walt
PC:

• 2 years later...
On 7/5/2021 at 1:01 PM, walt.farrell said:

In Publisher, the usable default pasteboard area is to the right and left of the pages/spreads. If you put items there, and you have View > View Mode > Clip to Canvas turned off, they should be visible. If you try to out them above or below pages they won't be visible.

This was a great help. Thanks Walt.
I think this View Mode should be Off by default.