You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer "View Mode" not vector by default - wait what???

Was drawing a line and some circles, zoomed in to get a tighter fit on the circle, and noticed it was pixelated. Wait, I'm using the equivalent of Illustrator, right?

Then I noticed "View Mode" on the toolbar, but they were Pixel / Retina / Outline

Then I checked the View > View Mode and saw "Vector" as a choice.

I'm confused...

1. Why is Vector not the default view mode?
  2. Why is Vector not a button on the toolbar (can't even add it from Customize Toolbar) - I'm in Pixel or Retina, then have to (in my case) accidentally find "Vector" within the View menu?
  3. Why would I care about Pixel-anything when I'm using a vector-based program?

If I remember correctly, you can just click on the pixel button on the toolbar  to unselect it (it’s a toggle button). 

Pixel based preview is a very useful thing for people who work with web or where the output will eventually be rasterised. It enables you to draw assets that don’t have that fuzzy ‘half a pixel’ thing going on and is one of the great features of Designer, which may be why they have it enabled as default. 

After a couple attempts, I likely had Retina enabled. Maybe when I was learning the UI and just clicking everything.

I didn't realize any of these choices until I zoomed in as mentioned earlier, but now I can appreciate them.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.