Jump to content
Cecil

iPad Photo Edit/Share

Recommended Posts

Please forgive me if this has been answered, I searched and watched tutorials.  Apple Photos app, IPad Pro, open Photo, tick (click) edit, and tick more, Affinity Photo app is not option to open and edit.  Also if I tick share, more, Affinity Photo is not available.  I can open any photo, within Affinity Photo app.  Is this related to my IOS, 12.3.1, or feature not supported? I attached screen shot.  I did not provide one with more selected, AP not listed or Photo.

CE2305E7-DC81-4B60-AD62-01A55F486694.jpeg


Cecil - North Carolina

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB. iPad Pro 10.5.

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Cecil, the Open in feature is not available for Affinity Photo when sharing from Apple Photo library. Fortunately there is a simple workaround. Using IOS Shortcuts app set up a shortcut for open in Affinity Photo. In photo library you just tap Share, tap the shortcut icon and tap the open in Photo shortcut to open you image in Affinity Photo.


IPad Pro 10.5 512GB iOS 12.3.1 Affinity Photo 1.7.2.150 Affinity Design 1.7.2.4 Publisher for iPad ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, DM1 said:

Hi Cecil, the Open in feature is not available for Affinity Photo when sharing from Apple Photo library. Fortunately there is a simple workaround. Using IOS Shortcuts app set up a shortcut for open in Affinity Photo. In photo library you just tap Share, tap the shortcut icon and tap the open in Photo shortcut to open you image in Affinity Photo.

DM1 thank you for the short cut workaround.  So many apps make this possible, one would think Affinity Photo would, as it is available MacOS.


Cecil - North Carolina

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB. iPad Pro 10.5.

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW, if anyone has IOS Photos to Open, Edit or share in IPad Affinity Photo I and perhaps many would appreciate.  Thank you, have a great day.


Cecil - North Carolina

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB. iPad Pro 10.5.

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, DM1 said:

Using IOS Shortcuts app set up a shortcut for open in Affinity Photo. In photo library you just tap Share, tap the shortcut icon and tap the open in Photo shortcut to open you image in Affinity Photo.

I’ve set up a shortcut for opening in Affinity Photo, and another one for opening in Affinity Designer, but when I tap ‘Share’ in the Photos app I don’t see icons for Photo, Designer, or even the Shortcuts app itself. Have I misunderstood something, or am I missing a step?


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.4 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I searched online for related shortcuts. It’s odd that many Photo apps (Procreate) example are available, no need for shortcut.  Should be easy for IT to fix. 


Cecil - North Carolina

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB. iPad Pro 10.5.

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, DM1 said:

Hi Cecil, the Open in feature is not available for Affinity Photo when sharing from Apple Photo library. Fortunately there is a simple workaround. Using IOS Shortcuts app set up a shortcut for open in Affinity Photo. In photo library you just tap Share, tap the shortcut icon and tap the open in Photo shortcut to open you image in Affinity Photo.

Not simple for me, I could not get, not a IT guy, shortcut to work. I also checked under Apple Photo shortcuts listed for photo, I saw nothing that would allow me to do so.  But I am sure many have and know how to write a script to do so.


Cecil - North Carolina

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB. iPad Pro 10.5.

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, I’ve got it now! In the Shortcuts app, choose ‘Create Shortcut’, search for Open and add an ‘Open In...’ action. When you deselect ‘Show Open In Menu’ you get an App entry with a ‘Choose’ link, allowing you to choose Designer or Photo or whatever app you want to use. Tap the ‘Settings’ icon (next to the ‘Share’ icon) and enable ‘Show in Share Sheet’ to make the shortcut available wherever you need it. Tap on the name ‘Untitled Shortcut’ to change it to something meaningful.

Once you’ve set up your shortcuts, tapping on the ‘Shortcuts’ icon in the share sheet in Photos will invoke a ‘Run Shortcut’ dialog from where you can choose the shortcut to the app to be used to open the selected photo.

 

76A034D0-8F05-4417-9F64-917FC9F213DE.png

 

DA3DF1B8-5787-4080-A785-204256674B4B.jpeg

B490470C-4109-409A-B4BF-E7E398594A23.jpeg


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.4 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know my mudditt’s Macros pushed this shortcut workaround of photos share sheet not giving Affinity Photo as an option, but i’ve come to realise that there really isn’t much Serif can do to make this work really well.

The photos share sheet does not share the original photo, it shares a reduced resolution jpg version. You can test this using any raw files in photos app, when you use the workaround the photo does not open in develop persona. Sorry to say in iPadOS the situation is no better.


Affinity Photo 1.7, Designer 1.7, Publisher 1.7 on MACOS Catalina Beta, Affinity Photo 1.7 and Designer 1.7 on iPad Pro 9.7" iPadOS 13 beta, Affinity Photo 1.7 on Windows 10

https://www.facebook.com/groups/affinityforipad/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Paul Mudditt said:

The photos share sheet does not share the original photo, it shares a reduced resolution jpg version. You can test this using any raw files in photos app, when you use the workaround the photo does not open in develop persona. Sorry to say in iPadOS the situation is no better.

Thanks for that, Paul. I don’t shoot raw, so it probably won’t affect me too badly, but it’s obviously less than ideal.


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.4 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alfred said:

OK, I’ve got it now! In the Shortcuts app, choose ‘Create Shortcut’, search for Open and add an ‘Open In...’ action. When you deselect ‘Show Open In Menu’ you get an App entry with a ‘Choose’ link, allowing you to choose Designer or Photo or whatever app you want to use. Tap the ‘Settings’ icon (next to the ‘Share’ icon) and enable ‘Show in Share Sheet’ to make the shortcut available wherever you need it. Tap on the name ‘Untitled Shortcut’ to change it to something meaningful.

Once you’ve set up your shortcuts, tapping on the ‘Shortcuts’ icon in the share sheet in Photos will invoke a ‘Run Shortcut’ dialog from where you can choose the shortcut to the app to be used to open the selected photo.

 

76A034D0-8F05-4417-9F64-917FC9F213DE.png

 

DA3DF1B8-5787-4080-A785-204256674B4B.jpeg

B490470C-4109-409A-B4BF-E7E398594A23.jpeg

Alfred thank you, I selected photo, share, shortcut and photo opened in Affinity Photo.  


Cecil - North Carolina

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB. iPad Pro 10.5.

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×