You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have attempted to lay out my Higher Functioning Autistic Spectrum Communication Guide on Affinity Publisher. The results are interesting. I love the control this package gives me over typography and the excellent column guides facility. I hope you like the results although I still have a lot to learn. Added a slight edit to give the poetry a separate demarcation on page two. I used the rectangle tool with reduced opacity and placed the rectangle behind that particular column. I was surprised to find that the 'send to back' function actually sent the rectangle behind the layers which were on the Master Pages and not just on the current page. So I had to send it back one layer instead. I'm used to a slightly different functionality on PagePlus but I'm sure I'll adapt.

Aspergers Information.pdf

Aspergers Information_1 (FILEminimizer).png

Aspergers Information_2 (FILEminimizer).png

I hope I'm allowed to add some critism/advice to your work. You should add some margin/space to the text in the blue-ish box on the second page. Writing texts to the very border of a box is a no-go unless it's some more or less "fancy" design thing (i. e. on modern posters/flyers etc.).

And I'd remove the page numbers unless there are some plans to expand the work to some kind of brochure one day. Page numbers are useful, if you use an index so people could find the stuff they are searching for more easily. (Or in books, so people can brag with the amount of pages they read...)

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

Hi,

Your document is clean and easy to read, but I think you can make it more attractive.

• You can have 4 pages, to have more room for your text and add small illustrations (that you create if you have time or can find on sites like freepik.com).
  • The main title is nice, but looking at it, we can see you had to tighten the text to fit the page's width because you wanted it to be large enough. With 4 pages, you can write it on 2 lines, with more space around. The effect is nice too, but the text look blurred until we zoom on the page. Perhaps you can keep it if you print this document, or use a simpler effect on a PDF like this one?
  • To give dynamic to your paragraphs, you can use few illustrations for some of them, and bold on the main topic. Or instead of bold, you can add a short header to each one.
  • Another point, you can divide the blue frame in 2 (Asperger's Syndrome / Meltdown) and have one in the front page and the other one on the second page (or if you use 4 pages and illustrations, put them where it won't disturb too much your text and illustrations).
  • I don't understand why there's this "Affinity Publisher" mention at the bottom. If you made it (the mention) in AD or APub: felicitations! But there's no need for it, or you can mention you did this in APub in a small line of text at the bottom or written in the margin, the same way we write copyright info along some pictures.
  • And about fonts: You use at least 3 fonts. There's no need to use Times New Roman and Noto Serif: they are too similar, you can replace the Times NR with Noto Serif on your main text, and perhaps use Noto Serif bold or Bold Condensed in the blue frame for variety. The blue frame is important, if you reduce the leading, you'll be able to write a little bigger, this way the text size will be different that the main text, and more dynamic.

About the PDF size: 12M isn't a problem for print, it needs quality, but you can have less than 1M for other use like sending by email or download on a web site (I'll give some PDF presets below).

I hope it's easy to understand and will give you new ideas for your document. Ask if you need more precision (English isn't my main language, and I lack vocabulary to be more precise).

2019-07-14_095132.thumb.jpg.a693e42def731fb1a889268ae3f1e520.jpg

To me, using “Affinity Publisher” in this document makes it appear that it is a part of a publication produced by Affinity.  I also don’t understand why it is there.  Not only that, but it uses otherwise available space.  All those gathering clouds behind the text looks muddy and gloomy.  Why not have fresh clean columns of text with some lovely cloud images interspersed?  Perhaps the clouds could replace “Affinity Publisher?”

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9