You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF flattening bug

PDF export rasterise/flattens text and vector graphics under certain circumstances.

In some circumstances everything is flattened/bitmapped even if Rasterise/Unsupported properties is selected. PDF should of course never ever rasterise if you not specifically tell it to (that you have an option for, ”Flatten”). This is a serious problem that needs to be addressed properly. As switching InDesign user (and several other DTP apps), you have to rely 100% of the PDF export.

The problem is reproducible (I spend several hours to figure it out):
If i.e an Affinity Photo image is placed in a Publisher document, and the photo has adjustment layers, PDF flattens the whole page. If the adjustment layers is disabled, it works just fine. I've attached documents.

There is also a workaround: If photos, text and vector graphics are placed in separate layers, it also works.

PDF_rasterised.pdf

PDF_rasterised.afpub

PDF_not_rasterised.pdf

Yes. But that was not the issue (as described). When selecting "Unsupported properties" (or using the default presets), there is bugs when it comes to PDF export. I found out why and also described a workaround. Even if there is a workaround, bugs like this tells me something ELSE could be wrong. And then we can't rely on proper PDF export. I'm looking for using Publisher (instead of InDesign) professionally. Sending huge PDF documents to print with a new app is a tricky business just be itself. If there could be underlaying problems that occurs only in certain circumstances, that would't do at all. So the issue needs to be solved.

Note: You seems to be using windows. I guess that the PDF export is the same for MacOS and Windows, but there could actually be differences. So the issue may not be the same in Windows. Even so, "Nothing" in the Rasterise option was not the issue. As documention states, Nothing in this setting may be dangerous:

"Nothing—no elements within the design are rasterized on export, therefore unsupported elements are not included in the exported file" Source