You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Where's the word count facility?

As far as I'm aware there is no word/character count in any of the Affinity apps, although it has been requested multiple times. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

1 hour ago, haakoo said:

Sorry couldn't resist;

"I don't know no Count"

Sincerely yours Sir Duke,Lord of Earl.

Now all we need is for one of the German forum members to draw us a Graf.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Well, we've had a couple of "what would you want a word count for?" responses which I thought simply betrayed ignorance of how many users work and, indeed, how PagePlus made possible the entire Serif (now Affinity) project by giving customers what they wanted.

Some have suggested that such tasks are done outside Publisher in a word processor. At least, unlike the Betas, Publisher can now directly import Word docx, so we are in the bronze, rather than stone age. If text files - like picture files - could be "linked" so that they could be automatically updated by changing the external file, I would think this a halfway helpful answer, but as far as I can see that option doesn't exist.

Anybody got any other suggestions as to how the user who has to be his or her own staff-writer and editor as well as layout artist might best tackle the classic task of rewriting on the fly when the customer decides at the last minute that the text has to change?

3 minutes ago, Paul Martin said:

Well, we've had a couple of "what would you want a word count for?" responses which I thought simply betrayed ignorance

Oh, you might be a bit over-interpreting the intention behind the given answers. – I DO definitely MISS a word count feature AND i don't understand why it is not available already because it is not very complex to program, imho.

BUT I am a bit tired of new topics which are repeating existing topics instead using the existing ones to make clear at 1 place how many users yearn for it.

And, also I am tired of reading again and again complaints of Page Plus users about Affinity being different and forcing them to be flexible thinking and learning its new interface, new features and new way to work possibly etc. – So, it comes, instead of writing this as first reaction to your "Where is ...?"-question I rather preferred to try it with a bit of humor instead. Not at all making fun of you or your desire but of words and language which definitely counts.

About your recent question (which is so long that I hardly understand it): AfPublisher is neither a text editor nor an editing system but a layout application. Therefore word count simply hasn't been a primary goal yet. But wonderfully other features got implemented, which haven't been in Page Plus, didn't they?

26 minutes ago, haakoo said:

ok,no word count as of yet,

You could use an editor that has a wordcounter,export it to pdf(text only)and have it linked/embedded in your afpub project.

when somthing has changed,save that file again and use the resource manager to update the file in your project.

That's really interesting, haakoo. Are you saying that the text in a PDF file that is linked to Publisher is recognised AS TEXT, rather than as an image?

5 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Oh, you might be a bit over-interpreting the intention behind the given answers. – I DO definitely MISS a word count feature AND i don't understand why it is not available already because it is not very complex to program, imho.

BUT I am a bit tired of new topics which are repeating existing topics instead using the existing ones to make clear at 1 place how many users yearn for it.

And, also I am tired of reading again and again complaints of Page Plus users about Affinity being different and forcing them to be flexible thinking and learning its new interface, new features and new way to work possibly etc. – So, it comes, instead of writing this as first reaction to your "Where is ...?"-question I rather preferred to try it with a bit of humor instead. Not at all making fun of you or your desire but of words and language which definitely counts.

About your recent question (which is so long that I hardly understand it): AfPublisher is neither a text editor nor an editing system but a layout application. Therefore word count simply hasn't been a primary goal yet. But wonderfully other features got implemented, which haven't been in Page Plus, didn't they?

I'm afraid you'll just have to suffer with the rest of us Thomaso. I don't mind new implementations, though quite why it has to be a kind of treasure-hunt for the existing user base, I don't know.  I wouldn't make these criticisms of Designer, but a desktop publishing application is not just a layout tool for graphic artists and there is a long history of why that should be.

PS The reason people are repeating topics may be because they are a) new to this forum and b) it isn't that well indexed/sectioned.

PPS I hope this wasn't too long for you, but there's no word count here, either.

2 hours ago, haakoo said:

export it to pdf(text only)and have it linked/embedded in your afpub project.

What do you mean with "export to PDF (text only)" ?
I have never seen this option on PDF export in any app. Therefore I am lost with this hint.

Unfortunately saved as "normal" PDF and placed as linked resource would bring its own layout AND one text frame per line in AfPub. Whereas opening a PDF in AfPub gives me the option to keep text paragraphs in frames together – but then I can't make it linked to get it updated if changed.

It is a pity that I can't place text file as linked yet. (though an update of a linked text would probably override the assigned styles)

I have just tried this, haakoo, and I don't think this would be much use for managing a 2,000 word article. I watched the tutorial for how the linked/embedded item worked for pictures and was initially hopeful, but they simply haven't done the equivalent for text. Which is a pity, as I would be perfectly happy to do the text editing in Word and simply let the updated version appear automatically in Publisher.