You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Using Apple Photos (mouldman99)

Hi, I'm new to Affinity photo, just downloaded the trial version. First impressions are good.

I am using Apple Photo's to store my images. If I edit an image in Affinity then save it using "save as" to my desktop as an af photo file, photo's says it cannot open it as it is an unsupported format.  

Any ideas?

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere

XNView appears to be on PC only, I use a mac.

As Apple Photo cannot understand the .AFPHOTO file format,  does this mean that to retain the non destructive editing capabilities of Affinity for a saved image I will need another image organiser? If so any recommendations.  

2 hours ago, mouldman99 said:

XNView appears to be on PC only, I use a mac.

As Apple Photo cannot understand the .AFPHOTO file format,  does this mean that to retain the non destructive editing capabilities of Affinity for a saved image I will need another image organiser? If so any recommendations.  

Sorry, @mouldman99.

As you'll see from the link I provided, the original version is called XNView and was Windows-only.
However, the newer multi-platform version called XNView MP is for Linux, macOS, as well as Windows.

Curiously, although XNView MP lists over 500 different file formats among those it recognizes, they make no mention of the Affinity Designer, Photo, and Publisher formats; however, it can recognize and generate thumbnails for each of them. Although I typically use Bridge as my primary file browser, XNView MP can easily serve the same function. Just like Bridge, XNView MP has a pretty good tool for Batch Renaming of your photos. You can also perform batch conversion, manage metadata, capture screenshots, print, etc. It's actually pretty amazing for donation-ware.

XnView MP is provided as FREEWARE (NO Adware, NO Spyware) for private or educational use (including non-profit organizations). The developer asks that if you enjoy using XnView MP, you can feel free to help the developer with a small donation.

6 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Curiously, although XNView MP lists over 500 different file formats among those it recognizes, they make no mention of the Affinity Designer, Photo, and Publisher formats; however, it can recognize and generate thumbnails for each of them.

I have not been successful in convincing XNViewMP to generate or show previews or thumbnails of my Affinity Publisher files, although it does show them for Designer & Photo files.

Any tips on how to get the app to display APub ones would be appreciated.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

53 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I have not been successful in convincing XNViewMP to generate or show previews or thumbnails of my Affinity Publisher files.

Hmmmm... I will definitely try to double-check and get back to you on this, hopefully this evening. 

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

I have not been successful in convincing XNViewMP to generate or show previews or thumbnails of my Affinity Publisher files, although it does show them for Designer & Photo files

Ackkk... you’re right! Sorry about my error. After reviewing the folder again, I must have thought I had a few Publisher files in there, too. But it turns out they we’re Designer projects.

As of right now, XNView MP macOS Version 0.93 64 bits (Jan 30 2019) can generate Designer and Photo thumbnails; however, it only displays the ugly Publisher icon as a placeholder for Affinity Publisher files. :61_sob:

2 minutes ago, haakoo said:

The only way is to change the afpub to an afdesign file

That's what surprised me a little bit. I figured since the file formats are the same, it wouldn't have any issue at all deciphering the contents of the file. But even if the formats are the same, there must be more to somehow telling XNView that it should know how to read it and provide the preview. Interesting. 

41 minutes ago, haakoo said:

Well it seems the renaming doesn't work either.

Hmmm. The renaming trick works on my Mac ... but from what I can tell, only for .afpub documents that just have a single page or two page spread. That seems weird because XnViewMP has no problems showing both thumbnails & previews of all the artboards of .afdesign documents that have lots of them -- basically, the CMD+0 'zoom to fit' all-artboard view in Designer.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Sorry I have not responded to Ulysses, I have been away for a few days.

Thanks for your recommendation, I have downloaded XNView MP and will be getting to grips with it this week.